1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What holes did i just open???

Discussion in 'General Security' started by narbertb, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narbertb

narbertb Thread Starter

Hey all,

I have a client that just bought a new laptop (vista) and now her pcanywhere doesn't work. She needs the new version which costs $300 and she just said NO. So i opened her router to port 3389 to use microsoft's RDC.

It works just fine but i'm concerned about what holes i might have opened.

Other than make sure the patches are up to date kinda stuff... are there any services that should be turned off??? Like RPC.
    Or anything else that should be done, now that that port is open to the world?

Or should i go the route of an VPN or SSH?

We are using a vista system to connect to an xp pro system.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you only forwarded Remote Desktop port then that should be the only thing open to the world. Apart from keeping patches up to date and praying that there is no undisclosed vulnerability for terminal services, there isnt much you can do.
    The only other thing I can suggest is for her is to install a firewall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice