1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What If I format xp and it wipes my USB?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TechyForum_Mate, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechyForum_Mate

TechyForum_Mate Thread Starter

If you have formatted your pc and left your USB Stick in the USB Port and when you finally come to use that USB and it doesn't work, What do you do?

Go into Control Panels, Administrative Tools and select "Computer Management"

From here, you'll get a window with a tree view on the left, you want to choose "Disk management" under the storage category.

You should get a graphy thing down the bottom with a set of partitions like in the picture here:

[​IMG]

So right click on the partition for your USB drive and then delete it. You should be able to right click on it again after that and recreate it easily enough.

This was provided by CodeWarrior...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There isn't a reason in the world that a USB drive would be affected by reloading XP, and formatting it may not be a particularly bright idea if you have data you want on it.

I'm curious how you came up with this "tip"? :confused:

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Well since the hard drive was formatted and the drive was not recognized by the USB port the first thing I would do is install an operating system and make sure the USB port was working. USB ports usually do not read anything until an OS is installed and your post says nothing about any OS being installed. If there was an OS installed I would first then make sure the USB ports were working and also would have put the thumb drive into another computer to make sure that the data was or was not there. If the data was not there I would have installed a recovery program to recover the data from the thumb drive.

The one other thing I would not have done is post a fix that is not a good fix and also incomplete. I would suggest that you redo your post and correctly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice