Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What in the world is happening during startup?!

Solved 
453 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
Win 10, up to date, Dell desktop, malwarebytes, windows anti virus, Acronis backup to Toshiba 1 Tb drive. Nothing real fancy. But tonight after being out of town four days and totally shut down and unplugged, upon startup, NOTHING is working like it usually does. Everything takes much longer to do anything. Is there a way to see what may be running in the background right when I start up like this, that may be making every program I try to run much more sluggish than it usually is? Like a malwarebytes scan? Or Windows at scan? Or what I think could be the culprit, Acronis is doing its first backup since I shut down five days ago. The light on the Toshiba is blinking like it does when there’s activity with it.

I guess what I’m asking is, does Task Manager list routines like the ones I’ve named here that are running in the background or does it only show the “system” stuff that makes the computer run at all, that I don’t understand the just take for granted?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks. I appreciate knowing how to find my way around Task Manager.

I also agree that after a long period turned off and unplugged Windows had a lot to do. I found that out this morning when I started up after leaving it running overnight. The startup window made me click ignore, no, no way, or whatever else I could use to tell Windows to just take no for an answer and not make me sign on their way!

And I also found the latest Acronis backup file in File Manager, dated yesterday with a time stamp exactly consistent with when it would have been causing the immediate problems.

Thx again folks.

#6 ·
Cookiegal,

Point taken. Thx for protecting me--and others--from myself! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.