1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What in the world is this?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by bushpilot223, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bushpilot223

bushpilot223 Thread Starter

I found this under the passenger seat of my car yesterday. It is a '98 Lincoln Mark VIII.
    I can't figure out what this is...it has a 3.5mm headphone jack on it, and a wire with a 3.5mm male connector on it. It has Forward, Back, Play/Pause, and Stop on it, along with volume. And obviously it's manufactured by JVC.

Anyone know what this thing is?

Photo:
    [​IMG]

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Looks like a wired remote for a camcorder.

3. janikPilot

janikPilot

Not even that, it looks like something you plug into a MP3 player and you can control the music output without having to use the buttons on the device.

4. bushpilot223

It doesn't work with my MP3 player and I don't know of any camera it could have come off of...

5. janikPilot

janikPilot

I still think it's some type of headphone adapter, like this: [​IMG]
    It may just be broken.

My only question is why are people putting things in your car without you noticing?:p

6. dukevyner

dukevyner

I agree... But obviously quite old

That's likely because it would only work with one or a few mp3 players, jvc obviously...

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Is the yellow on the end also a switch .. Maybe a record button ???

8. bushpilot223

no the yellow end is only a sound jack.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A sound jack?? Says who? Yellow means composite video for every such connection I've ever seen.

This is a fruitless academic exercise. It's not going to do anything for you. You an guess all day long.

10. bushpilot223

Lol I'm not an idiot, it isn't composite video. And it actually isn't yellow it's green. It is a 3.5mm sound jack..I've never heard of being able to carry a video signal thru a 3.5mm...

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You said yellow. Now you say green. I say, "What's the point?" It's a part belonging to something.

12. hewee

hewee

Look at the male plug and it's stereo and more so that would be video also.

If it works you have a nice remote ext. cord that can still be used for sound only.

13. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

It is indeed a remote for a portable device. That being said however, the buttons most likely only work with a JVC device. I have a similar remote for a GPX portable cd player that, even though I still get sound and can control the volume, cannot play/pause, skip, rewind, or stop any portable cd player other than my GPX. And Harry, that is purely stereo sound. I know this because I have torn one of these apart to make a makeshift speaker. The four bands of metal on the plug are two negatives and two positives. But I must say good eye on the many metal bands.

14. hewee

hewee

So the male plug with the way the it's made four bands that is not a default typ of plug because they made to only work a JVC device.
    Was east to see the four bands of metal on the plug.

Got a old JVC cam recorder. No remote like that bit it had another plug so it will let you watch a playback from JVC cam to a tv. So will need to find it and look at the one end that plugs into the JVC cam to see if they changed the way the bands are so it only works on that JVC cam or only a JVC device. Other end plugs into a tv RCA plug so you know that works on any brand.

15. SpectresShadow

SpectresShadow

If you can find your cam JVC that also feeds video through it I would love to see a pic of it. As I said I have a GPX that has a male plug just like that, and all it feeds through is audio and it only controls my GPX cd player. I'm just going off of what I know, and would love to be proven wrong if I am. Always fun to learn new things.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063200