1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is 127.0.0.1 ?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jaygor, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

I have win 98se and AOL7 ISP. Everytime after logging onto AOL I try to run IE6 it keeps connecting to 127.0.0.1 and an error is displayed that This Page Cannot be Displayed. It goes on to to say that I have not got the correct internet settings.

Can some explian what should I look for in the Internet Options settings and suggest any corrections.

AOL and AOL browser works fine but I prefer other browsers. I have also tried "repairing" IE6 but to no avail.

Thank you in advance

jaygor

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

A computer on the network is identified by what is known as an IP address, which consists of four numbers separated by dots, such as 127.0.0.1. However, there is one address that cannot be used by any computer in the world, and that address is 127.0.0.1. The reason is that this address has been reserved as what is known as the loopback address. A loopback address is an address that tells the computer not to test its connections to another computer, but to test its own basic network setup.

in IE6 go to
    tools
    internet options
    connections

in the dial up/vpn area - are your settings right for connecting to aol (sounds like they are if aol and the aol browser work)

next look at LAN settings
    everything there should be blank and/or unchecked

3. RandyG

RandyG

also make sure in Internet Options that your Home Page is not set to this value.

4. jaygor

jaygor Thread Starter

I have done and or checked what you JB and RB have suggested. Many thanks again. Incidently my home page is always uk.yahoo

I even tried to repair IE6 since it wont allow me deinstall.

Strangely as mentioned earlier the AOL browser works fine. So does Netscape 4.79. I tried other browsers which use IE 'engine' and they will not work either.

AOL help effectively told me to deintall both AOL7 and IE6 and then reinstall. I am not impressed by that.

This is driving me mad :mad:

jaygor

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

strange indeed !

uninstall and reinstall as a primary option is the time worn advice of 'techs' that don't know wtf they are doing IMHO
    - at times it's necessary but it is an extreme move esp. with any software where you have email, preferences etc stored like aol
    nb: if you ever do uninstall/reinstall aol, make sure you copy the 'organize' folder that contains your id info and other good stuff (not sure if it's the same in v7, check the online help)

here's something else to try:
    start
    run
    regedit
    search your registry for 127.0.0.1
    -if/when it finds it, keep searching so you get all instances of which keys it is in
    - for any IE keys, try modifying the value with your uk.yahoo.etc home page
    - you could also try deleting the key, expecting that it will be recreated when you open IE again - but i'm not sure on that one - caution required

** always: when changing registry settings, make sure you back up the current registry in case you need to restore it **

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice