1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is 205.171.3.65:DNS?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paula157, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paula157

paula157 Thread Starter

Hi,

1. I am using the XP home edition. When I connect to the internet by MSN, my system file svchost.exe go to the above IP very often, and it also accept connection from the above address. What is the 205.171.3.65:DNS?

2. After install a firewall, I got a strange question yester. "Do you want to allow to access to the internet?" I don't know what is the program was asking for access the internet. And also:

Destination IP: 205.171.3.65:DNS
    Filename:
    Version:

What this mean? Normally they will give the program name, the filename and version which was asked. But, that one no program name, no filename, no file version, only a destinatopn IP. What should I do?

3. When using the firewall, I don't know what to allow or accept, and what don't. Should I allow Generic Host Process to act as a server? Which I can allow to act as a server? Should I allow it accept connection from the internet?

Thanks.

2. paula157

paula157 Thread Starter

Why the "D" in my above post looks like that?

3. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Thats the address of a DNS server called resolver.qwest.net.

When you go to a web site by name your browser has to resolve the name to the IP address of the server you are going to. To do that it refers to a DNS server, and it does it for every new web site that you go to. This is probably your ISP's own DNS server.

Without knowing what the file name is of the program accessing the net its hard to advise you. Have you recently installed any other programs that might need net access? I would allow access for now, but then download and install Ad-aware to check for spyware on your system and remove it. If the program still needs access to the net after running adaware then its probably a genuine program.

And your post looks like that because smilies are enabled in your post. A : and a D make :D.

To stop this happening you tick the box near the submit button which says disable smilies in this post.

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Mister Scott, are you certified to consult on the activation and behavior of Smilies ? ;)

You can also user a lower-case "d"... as in :dns

Just to add a simple analogy to Nick's excellent explanation...
    Giving your browser the name of a web=site to load is a little like someone giving you their name to call on the telephone. If you do not know their number you have to go to the phone-book or directory-assistance because the phone only understands numbers. Your browser can only find a page using an IP address. If it does not have that address it must use its version of directory-assistance which is a DNS server.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!