1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is a "Deschutes" CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jasonrosegiese, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasonrosegiese

jasonrosegiese Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a Soltek SL67B mobo, and the manual says it supports p2/celeron 233-533MHz, or up to 800MHz Deschutes CPU. What is a Deschutes CPU? Is it a type of Intel? The mobo is a slot 1.
    I would like to get an 800MHz cpu for it, but it has to be a deschutes cpu. Where would I find one of these?

Also, it has 3 fan conn. on the board, and says it will display sys temp, fan speeds, and voltage, but has to have necessary hardware. All 3 fans are 3 wire, and display fan speed on my other board, but it shows nothing on this board, what hardware would I need to get? And where would I get it?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

3. brianF

brianF

Not 100% but I think that was the old pentuim II chip, only went up to 450 or 500 I thought, after that they went to the Pentuim III Katami(only went to 600), then the Pentuim III coppermine, and now the P4.

4. jasonrosegiese

Any ideas where I could get my hands on an 800MHz Deschutes, and what about the Soltek mobo not displaying fan speeds, and voltage??

5. brianF

brianF

Try motherboard monitor, it should work just fine.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Software, should pick up your sensor and allow you to set them

6. deuce

deuce

So you are saying your bios isn't displaying temps and fan speeds?

Well about the fans... for 800 Mhz all you really need (as long as it is Intel and not AMD :D) is just a cpu fan. (If it were AMD I would suggest case fan too) If you want more, then you can get them at any computer store or even I think radio shack, and also at places on the web. All fans I think should be the same (respectively) so you shouldn't have problems there. However, if you are like me, I like the less fans the better. (thus, quieter) I have a P4 and only use a cpu fan and don't have any problems with cooling... and my cpu runs great. As for the temp stuff your bios should tell you, and you can also get free programs off the web that go in your taskbar and tell you the cpu temps, fan speeds, ect. and can shut down automatically if a fan stops working, ect., ect. I use PC-Alert III and like like.

Mike

7. brianF

brianF

according to this page, although not in english, that deschutes chip only went to 450mhz??????

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/article/990310/speclist.htm

and this one

http://www.tdl.com/~netex/cpu/cpu.html

8. deuce

deuce

Humm... maybe they planned to hit 800 and gave up.

9. jasonrosegiese

I tryed MBM5, all it would display is cpu clock speed, and cpu usage. Any other free software out there for this??

As for the fans, the noise doesn't bug me, there enermax fans anyway, so they run very slow and quiet until the temp starts to raise. They have a temp sensor, and 4 speeds. I just wish I could see what speed they were running at. I overclock this system, all the way to 600 MHz with diff ram (133MHz x 4.5), and run high-end games for hours at a time, so it can create a lot of heat.
    I also made a plexi-glass side panel for it, and am planning on putting a light inside, which will also create heat.

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes brianF seems to be correct. The Deschutes ( a type of technology) Was used to make faster P2s and has since been replaced with the P3 and P4. I saw one price for $4500. for a slot 2 Deschutes chip and even it wasn't up to an 800 speed.

11. BEL6772

BEL6772

Just to re-confirm .. Deschutes is the Intel code-name for the core logic that was used in the P-II, P-II Xeon, and later, Celeron processors. It was replaced by the Katmai core (first P-III) and later by the Coppermine and now the Tualatin (both P-IIIs). The Deschutes core never made it past 450 MHz, so I'm not sure why the manual lists support for an 800 MHz version. If it is using the 440BX chipset, it probably could support a P-III 800, with a BIOS update. Have to check with the manufacturer first ...

Also, 440BX chipset doesn't have native fan RPM circuitry, MoBo makers had to pop an extra IC on to do that. If your board doesn't have the extra IC, you won't be able to read the fan RPMs. The board is probably wired to support the extra IC, but you may have the 'base model' that doesn't actually have the IC soldered on. Kinda like cars ... you have the little hole covers on the dashboard where switches would be if you had all the extras.

Brian

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice