what is a good firewall software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hfxcastillo

Hello everyone,
I have a AMD Anthlon in which I try to keep in tip top shape, with regards to security and registry problems as well as hardware connections. My question to all of you is, what would be a good firewall product that I can purchase. I have a few good programs install on my computer to keep it running free from spyware, viruses, ect. Programs like spybot, adaware, Norton system works in which work great but I am looking for a good firewall, any suggestions, thanks to all for you help
Fernando

redoak said:
Zone Labs' "Zone Alarm Pro" can be purchased at: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/promotions/zap/buyzap.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&c=03023

However, they offer a FREE firewall that has regularly been recommended here at TSG and which I have used for many months with satisfaction.
Here's a handy list I refer to from time to time:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm
The list is updated on a regular basis-- This latest version lists Gizmo's three favorite firewalls (all free- although, as already noted, some- like ZoneAlarm- do have "Professional Versions")

letchworth

In my opinion, I think Kerio is the best free firewall you can get and Zonealarm is the best pay firewall you can get. But if I had a choice I would go with Zonealarm.

ZA (y)

Just use caution with versions..
Example.. One of the ver. 5's caused problems in Windows XP..
Just found out that ver. 6.0.... Would block my auto log in for ebay.. Tried all kinds of "allow site" settings, but it still would block it..

So I'm back to ver. 4. something, I havent noticed any problems with it..
But I do like some of the new features that were with 6..

So, word of caution. If you install ZA don't install anything else for a while..
If you notice anything strange, remove it.. If it's fixed, then you know it was ZA..

It's a great firewall, but nothing is perfect.

heh, im still attempting to install smoothwall on my spare computer

hfxcastillo said:
Hello everyone,
I have a AMD Anthlon in which I try to keep in tip top shape, with regards to security and registry problems as well as hardware connections. My question to all of you is, what would be a good firewall product that I can purchase. I have a few good programs install on my computer to keep it running free from spyware, viruses, ect. Programs like spybot, adaware, Norton system works in which work great but I am looking for a good firewall, any suggestions, thanks to all for you help
Fernando
Hi Fernando,

As is the usual case, when I try to determine what is good/better/best in a product, I research information about current products freeware or otherwise. In doing so, I tend to concentrate on finding out attributes/features that are desireable for my needs.

So, the first thing is to determine one's needs. In your case, since you are running Norton system works and appear to be satisfied with it then depending on how you prioritorize your criteria for a firewall, there are several options that if I were you I would want to investigate.

One easy option is any good firewall that does not conflict with Norton system works. Another option is to consider the memory footprint (how lightweight in memory usage) of the firewall. Further investigation may reveal that your needs require certain flexibility in terms of your computer configuration (which may change in the future) and so you may need to consider whether the firewall is reconfigurable by allowing new firewall rules to be created. Then the issue comes to the fore whereby - is it easy to reconfigure new firewall rules. OTOH, you may just be the type of user that wants to set it and forget it.

As is always the case, I look for evaluations. One such firewall evaluation website is at: http://www.firewallleaktester.com which is also a good website to read for all of its information. Some folks are purists about firewalls in the sense that everything you may find on that website is way over and above what a "classic" firewall is intended to do - i.e. minimally.

With that in mind, the "classic" firewall is seen as really just a packet filter which drops any received packet that was not requested by an outbound message from your computer. Properly setup, Windows Firewall on WinXP (I run Pro SP2), can do the job quite nicely, but what it cannot do is notify you of outbound connection attempts by some malware that might have gotten into your computer - mostly by visiting the wrong websites. For example, lately there have been a spate of WMF attempts to get surfers to download a trojan nasty. If you download and install it (they want you to think its required to read the website, and may even ask you to allow popups to do the installation for you), then you risk losing your system to a malware that can become a spambot or worse they could steal your personal information.

Sorting out the issues of what your needs are is only the first step. The overall strategy recommended by most security analysts today is a multi-layered security strategy that starts with:
1) a hardware firewall router
2) supplemented with a software firewall
3) A HIPS or Host Intrusion Protection System to prevent errant processes from executing and attempting to hide in your system file folders under assumed good filenames like Internet Explorer as a hidden process, or to inject themselves into processes or dlls, and also to protect the Registry from being modified by malware in an unauthorized way.
4) and other various software tools like you have already mentioned to keep spyware abated.

While the ZoneAlarm (both free and pro) are good products, what mostly keeps users safe is to use common sense, and avoid surfing with notable P2P software and websites that have become hives of nasties just lurking for the casual user to swing on by for a test drive.

Good luck in your quest to find the right firewall that suits your needs, and surf safe with an industrial strength AV/AT/AS/Anti-Rootkit - and use either Opera free or Firefox 1.5 for surfing so you are not susceptible to ActiveX intrusions from using Internet Explorer (I only use it to get the monthly Windows security Updates).

-- Tom

well after many days of research i found most sites recomended outpost pro firewall as there top pick.now i'm into week 2 of the demo i'm finding it very good.
za pro was second pick most sites i looked at,and i never liked the free version of ZA.
I think i'll be buying this one when my trial expires

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online