1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is a good Pop-Up Blocker?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by NameTooLong, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NameTooLong

NameTooLong Thread Starter

I've been using Pop-Up Stopper for a while and got to thinking... is there something better?

2. crispy

crispy

I haven't used Pop-Up-Stopper myself, so it's hard to make any comparison, but I have used PopUpCop in the past (very good) and currently use NetCaptor rather than IE on its own. That not only gives pop-up protection but another way of browsing, using tabs.

Chris P

3. buckaroo

buckaroo

4. NameTooLong

I downloaded all 3 of those programs from the links and the only one I have tried so far is AdShield and I love it. I don't think I'll get to the others. It automatically blocks unwanted pop-ups without bothering you and also blocks banners as well. Thank you.

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

You're Welcome!

:)

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

FYI-when you are using AdShield, if you click on a link that uses javascript (such as TSG's Chat) it likely won't work. If this happens, try disabling AdShield then click the link. After you have clicked the link you can re-enable AdShield.

7. Platinum015

Platinum015

Dont waste your time with external pop-up programs. Get Avant Browser! http://www.avantbrowser.com/ It has a pop-up blocker built in, plus it is more stable than Opera, faster than Mozilla (Netscape), and has MANY more features than IE(such as tabbed browsing, groups, and 1 "button" to clear all of your Histories, Auto Completes, Cookies, and Temp Internet Files. I don't work for the company, but I think I will be buying some of their stock here REAL soon.

8. zookre

zookre

I am using POW, free from analogx. I have had it installed for about 3 months now and it is working great. I would highly reccomend it.

9. codexaenir

codexaenir

Another good alternative browser is Phoenix(soon to be renamed) which is a lighter, faster redisign of mozilla. It has a pop-stopper that works really well.. skinable.. tab browsing.. pluginable.. and much much more.

10. Platinum015

Platinum015

You know... I used avant for awhile and found that it contained too mny bugs for me. I have been using Crazy Browser ever since which is almost the exact same thing as avant only that its stable. It is really great and blocks pop-ups too.

11. AtreideS

AtreideS

I also use POW!, its small, it's free, its spyware free, its no non-sense, and does a great job. :)

12. NameTooLong

UPDATE: AdShield is still my favorite. I like blocking banners/adservers/pop-ups/questionable sites and it's great for that. I havn't tried the browsers that were suggested but I have been using IE for 5-6 years and it's still my favorite.

13. yul

yul

i use popup cop

14. NameTooLong

I just recently switched to Netscape 7.02 and haven't seen one unwanted pop-up since... and it asks you if you want to block cookies like it did in IE 6.0. I miss blocking banners with AdShield but I can live without it... for now. :D

15. Talamasca

Talamasca

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice