1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is a good router with a good firewall

Discussion in 'General Security' started by zergpc208, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Well people keep saying to me get a good router with a good firewall .

Because I do not know really how firewalls work or much about routers I'm getting confused .When people say get good router with a good firewall.

Is this what I should be looking for in a good router .

good firewall is the router that will lock all traffic but the appropriate computers the admin sets up for the router only and no other computers can use that router and the use of logging .

Meaning if people are hacking my router ,unauthorized use of the router ( by not improved computer) or trying to log into the router by password guessing it will alert me.

My routers does not alert me or has that feature to alert me when there is unauthorized use of the router ( by not improved computer using the router ) or trying to log into the router settings by password guessing

And tell me if there is port scanning going on.

router that will lock all traffic but the appropriate computers the admin sets up for the router only and no other computers can use that router and the use of logging

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Many routers today has a built in Stateful Packet Inspection ( SPI ) firewall.( eg DLink ) Basically, the firewall watches what ip addresses you go to, and allows only return traffic. So if you go to google.com, the firewall allows google.com to send network traffic back to you; anything else is blocked.

Having a log is good, so that you can review blocked network traffic and login attempts. However, you need to be deligent and review the logs regularly.

A fancier firewall + router will allow you to set firewall rules. So lets say you trust the DNS server provided by your ISP. You can make a rule saying Allow Outgoing traffic to UDP Port 53 at such and such an ip address. You can also allow only web traffic by saying Allow Outgoing traffic to TCP Port 80 and 443. Anything without a rule will not pass. So if a botnet client infects one of your machines and attempts to contact its master controller using IRC protocol, it will fail.

A small business oriented firewall like DLink's DFL210 also has a DMZ zone, where you can attach your public servers, like web servers. Because a web server is open to the public, it is also prone to attacks, and by making a seperate network zone for these machines, it separates your trusted internal network that does things like File and Printer Sharing from the untrusted, attack prone web servers. A SMB firewall would also have VPN support, so you can connect back to your network from a coffee shop. It will also support emailing alerts, so you won't have to wade thru mountains of log entries to find useful info.

3. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

You mean by login attempts people who try to log into the router settings by password guessing or trying to hack the router?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No consumer router does what you're asking. If you want detailed alerts and logging, you'd have to look into high-end professional routers that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

It's unnecessary.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi zergprc208,

Yes the logs should show login failures and their dates.

As for prices, the DFL 210 I mentioned costs around $300.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice