What is a "Host File"?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sistafatti

I receive email postings from the Kim Kommando web site and someone inquired that they were having problems downloading a Host file. As I read the post it appears that a Host file helps malicious items that end up in your registery from recreating. Kim gave instructions about placing a Host shortcut on your desk top. I am wondering specifically what a Host file does, is it a good thing to have or is it just another version of Spybot or AdAware Personal SE?

redoak

Gone but never forgotten
I use "Mozilla 1.7.12" as my exclusive browser. Would downloading and installing the recommended Host Files have any affect on my browsing?
{redoak}

No but if a site you go to is listed in the hosts then it will block the site. You can disable the hosts file if it is a site you want to get to or add # to the line.
This 1st one is blocked.
127.0.0.1 ehg-ati.hitbox.com
with the # so it looks like this here below it will not read any line that starts with a #.
#127.0.0.1 ehg-ati.hitbox.com

Now I have netscape so use edexter.
http://accs-net.com/hosts/eDexter.html
See the "Special Note for Netscape users:" on the page.

I also use HostsToggle.
http://accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/

Only open and use HostsToggle to make backups and to open the downloads of the new hosts files and then save it. Then I back up the new hosts file.
Also if there is a site I need to get to and I feel it is safe to go there I use HostsToggle to disable the hosts file and then I clear the cache and close down netscape and then gp back to the site. Then after I am done at the site I turn the hosts file back on again to block things. But it is best to clear the cache and close down netscape, IE, Firefox etc because the effects of the change may not work till you clear and close down.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online