1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is a loan?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by PODNickerz, Oct 12, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. PODNickerz

PODNickerz Thread Starter

I heard it is borrowing money from the bank and that you can pay them back in a number of years time, but is there a catch?

Also, would it be different in australia than in america?

Thanks
    :)

2. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Yes the catch being you have to " pay back " more than you had originally borrowed to the lender , in this case a bank. And i believe banks are generally the same world-wide .

3. P3-450

P3-450

Another catch is that your pretty much tied down for the amount of time for the loan.

If you fall behind payments then your kinda screwed.

4. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

When you take out a loan with a bank, you get a certain amount, and you pay that back and more. Loans can be somewhat different depending on what exactly your doing. What the bank gets in return for loaning you money is you pay back interest on the loan. So if you take out several thousand dollars, your likely to end up paying back the bank exactly how much you took out and a few thousand more.

Depending on how good your credit and such is, will affect the interest rate on your loan. If your credit is really bad, your likely not to get the loan or to have an extremely high interest rate.

5. Paquadez

Paquadez

The Canadian humorist, Stephen Leacock (yeh, there are some:D :D - Gib will confirm:confused: ), wrote on this subject in about the 1930s.

All depends, PodN, if you are just a regular sort of guy, a major corporation or a Third World state.

If you are a regular guy, then you'll probably borrow, sub-prime: i.e. far above normal rates of interest - and repay.

If you are a major corporation and you are big enough, then you can re-negotiate the loan or threaten to go into Chapter 13 (Bankruptcy)!:D

If you're a Third World State, then when the principal and interest is due you immediately default: the World Bank and the IMF pick up the tab and eventually you "Re-Schedule" which means in simple terms never, ever pay it back!

And it's us poor saps that pick up the tab when we want a mortgage, personal or small business loan!:p :p :p

Paq

6. PODNickerz

ok i know more about this subject now

i'll ask more people and learn more

Thanks! :)

7. PODNickerz

Also, does anyone know of a site or something which explains to me about all the interest and loan and other information ?

8. PODNickerz

nevermind, google does the job :)

9. PODNickerz

Bump!

What's the difference between a homelone and a personal lone?

Only thing i notice is you can borrow alot more money

10. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

That's because your home is a lot more collateral. ;]

11. Paquadez

Paquadez

A "Home Loan" is secured on a house.

A "Personal Loan" is guaranteed only by the borrower's ability to repay. If you default, there is no security.

Default on a Home Loan and you find yourself on the street!

That's why the rates are cheaper for Home Loans.

Paq

12. PODNickerz

So i should be going for a home lone?

btw: If you are currently paying off a loan and you die for some reason, what would happen?

13. PODNickerz

oh, and does it HAVE to be for a home?

14. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

Home loan HAS to be for a house (at least as far as I know). As already mentioned, you can borrow more and have the lower rates on the home loan because you are loaning money for a house, and if you do not pay the loan back, they take away your house.

If your not buying a house, then your looking at a personal loan.

If your paying for a loan and you die before you pay it off, obviously, you (physically speaking) will not be able to pay it off yourself. In such a situation the beneificiary of your estate would become responsible to pay it off. If you do not have one or they are unable to get enough to pay your loan off, then I believe they would attempt to auction off your belongings to pay it off. At least that is sort of the basic run down on it.

Your not planning anything are you? lol ;) (j/k)

15. PODNickerz

Oh, i thought u could use home loans for other stuff too.

Well, Thanks for the info

:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice