1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is a NAT router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AaLF, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AaLF

AaLF Thread Starter

I see NAT router mentioned when discussing firewall options. So what is a NAT router? I use a DLINK wirelss modem-router but I see no mention of "NAT" written anywhere on the box. Are wireless modem/routers 'NAT routers' or they something different?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Routers use Network Address Translation (NAT) to move packets from one network to another. I've always thought that the NAT is what defines a router. The devices called routers that we buy for home use always include a Dhcp server and often include an ethernet switch and wireless access point and other features. I am not aware of NAT routers and non NAT routers.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Not exactly. So NAT does mean Network Address Translation. But NAT is not the primary function which moves packets from one network to another. The router itself being a router is what moves packets from one network to another. A router functions at layer 3 in the OSI model.

NAT is talked about a lot in home network applications because of what it brings to the table. NAT (more specifically NAT overloading) allows the ability take a pool of private addresses and make them look like a single IP address which would be a public address provided by your ISP. NAT also provides other functionality. There are static NATs which allow one to translate a private/inside IP address to a public IP address. Or NATs can be done with a pool of public IP addresses which the router/firewall will rotate the selection of which public address is used when a device with a private address wants to communicate to the public side of the router.

There are more detailed aspects of NAT but that gives a general overview.

4. AaLF

AaLF Thread Starter

So for the 'firewall' function/feature that some brag about in forums e.g. "I'm not concerned about software firewalls because I'm behind a NAT router.".....

..........can I say I am behind a 'NAT router' too, with my little DLINK wireless modem-router?

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I made an edit to my previous post that adds a bit more clarity.

Many people mistake NAT as a security function. It is not. It does provide some level of protection but by no means should it be considered the primary means of security. The firewall function of many SOHO routers is what secures the network. This function is the SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice