1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is a survivor?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by help4me, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help4me

help4me Thread Starter

And no I don't mean the TV show. :p

What does it mean to be a survivor? Is it living through adversity.... not giving up even when hit with problem after problem? What events must one live through to qualify as a survivor? Is being a survivor just doing what needs to be done? Is a survivor simply someone who makes the most of their resources and opportunities? Is a survivor just someone who stays empowered?

let the discussion begin......

2. moonmist

moonmist

My first thought is.................. did Shamou put you up to this??? LMAO!!!

I will think about it and get back to ya though (y)

3. help4me

help4me Thread Starter

LOL.... no he didn't.... and I was waiting for someone to make that comment. :p

First... I must say.... Ray is a very good friend of mine. I like him.... I don't always agree with him.... but I still consider him to be a friend. That does not make me a "butt kisser" as coined but another member here about Ray's friends. What it makes me is perfectly capable of deciding who I like and don't like. No .... none of this is directed at you Miss Moonmist :) So please take no offense. I am just stating my peace where I can't get in trouble for hijacking :p ;)

Now... back to topic.... I would like to hear your opinion on what a survivor is :)

4. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well everyone is a "survivor" unless you kill yourself--we all go through trial and tribulations--its not what you go through, but how you yourself handle it. I've heard the whinings of a lot of people about what they've gone through that pale in comparison to what I've seen others go through and never complain. So if in fact you consider yourself a "survivor" you may possibly not be perceiving it correctly, if you know what I mean.

5. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

A survivor is someone that gets by. They don't need to be the best or prove themselves. For a survivor only the minimum needed to get by is enough.

6. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

A lot of the worst of me has surfaced in some of the lowest periods of my life. That is what was the hardest to survive. Some of those were inadequate feelings, fear, self-loathing, self-pity, and futility.
    To me those are the real obstacles. The circumstances of the trial are things that people have gone thru forever. I have one looming on the horizon now.

7. help4me

help4me Thread Starter

No huh-uh :p Why don't you 'splain it a little more

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, there are people that survive some real difficult times--like serious illnesses and/or disabilities, loss of life partners, etc. and then there are people who face the same typical things we all face and think they are the most courageous human being on earth for "getting through it." I'm sure you know people in both categories.

9. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

In other words there are ordinary survivors and extraordinary survivors.
    Both survive but the later has to work much harder at it.

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, technically if you want to be precise in language, but my perception of Bonnie's use of the term "survivor" is someone who has been through a lot more than the usual and costumary trials and tribulations most people face in their lives but have found a way to triumph through it. As I said above, we are all "survivors" in the strict sense of the word, but I don't think that's the way Bonnie is using the term. She'll correct me if I'm wrong, which would be the first time, although not the first time she's got on me for doing something bad!!! :eek:

11. help4me

help4me Thread Starter

Yes I do understand what you are saying..... and I agree.... but at the same time... illness and death can be considered part of life as well that many of us face. Just about all of us have gone through the death of a parent.... so if I consider myself as courageous for getting through it .... (which I don't BTW) but if I did.... would that make me less of a survivor?

12. katonca

katonca

I think you all deserve the katonca seal of approval {{{(y)}}}

Good ideas of what a real survior really is

13. moonmist

moonmist

:eek: ...........however would we have gotten by without it :eek:

:p

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

I don't think so--I'm talking about the people that are forever in a crisis or just getting over one.

15. help4me

help4me Thread Starter

Hmmmmm....... OMG that's me.... if I were to read back the last few months at all the things I have complained about.... not crisis exactly.... but..... geesh.... that's me.

Now what? :p

C'mon Mulder.... let's spar ;) And no..... I am not trying to set you up to start a fight. Seriously.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice