1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Is a Valid Win32 application?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MerpsMom, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MerpsMom

MerpsMom Thread Starter

This is my first post so I'm likely to appear stupid. I'm of average computer competence but love the things. Short story is this:

I have an accounting program in which I have data files for each year of my business. These have been successfully backed up for years on CD and now JumpDrive, and stored on the desktop with a shortcut for easy access.

I downloaded and installed SP2. Now when trying to open a file, I get the message C:\XXX\XXX\XXX is not a valid Win32 application. It always was before so what changed?

I cannot back up my current files because that is the name I've always used. The computer doesn't recognize the name as valid so I have no security.

An ancillary problem is that years ago, my adorable husband somehow associated my old data file to be opened with MusicMatch. (We don't even discuss this.) I managed a workaround so that I got the files to open with their program application even though I could never change the icon from MusciMatch. No harm no foul. No longer. Post SP2, the danged thing went back to opening MusicMatch, ignoring my old workaround. Messing with it for hours got it to where I'm now getting the invalid file messagel

Can anyone help me? These files are serious stuff to me.

(See, I do appear stupid. :eek: ) Forgot: I'm a Dell 2650 Inspiron, XP, 512 ram.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If you could clarify a bit?

"Now when trying to open a file, I get the message C:\XXX\XXX\XXX is not a valid Win32 application"
    How are you trying to open this file?
    Double clicking on it?
    Clicking on a shortcut?
    If you use Start > Programs does C:\XXX\XXX\XXX run, or still give the error?
    (BTW, this IS your accounting program?)

"I cannot back up my current files because that is the name I've always used. The computer doesn't recognize the name as valid so I have no security. "

What name? Or do you mean C"\xxx\xxx\xxx??
    No security? Meaning, no backup??

Re: Your old data file. From Explorer or My Computer, select one of these files, right mouse, open with and with from the list or the browse button, select the program that should be use, select the Always Use and OK your way out.

3. MerpsMom

MerpsMom Thread Starter

Thanx for the prompt reply. I'm trying to open the file by clicking on the shortcut I put on the desktop. But it makes no difference: I go to MyComputer>CDrive>Plus8(that's the program), seeing the data file, stomp on it, get the invalid message. It seems anything with the file extension .pls is now invalid. HOWEVER...using Start>Programs>MYOB> gets me to the tree of data files and any opens up fine. I don't get that but love that I can do it. How do I then back it up from there?

Re my old file and changing the association? I've done what you described: it does not work so I must be doing something wrong. My desired program (MYOB) is not on the list so I browse, select MYOB but it is never added to the list. When I go back to check "always use", the program I chose is not there.

This is very frustrating to me. I hope you can help me straighten it out because I think it's a case of the dumb stumbling around clicking and sorting without knowledge.

Just wondered: we were warned that SP2 may bugger some applications. My MYOB is old. Could that be the problem? (But that still doesn't explain why I can use the program by following other paths.) I'm fibrillating.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

First, before you start into this, go to My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View Tab, Scroll down and UNselect "Hide Extensions for Known FileTypes"

"I'm trying to open the file by clicking on the shortcut I put on the desktop. "

Select this shortcut, right mouse, properties and post back the contents of the field called Target.

"It seems anything with the file extension .pls is now invalid. "

This extension belongs to what program???

"Start>Programs>MYOB> gets me to the tree of data files and any opens up fine. "

And, what are the extensions of these data files?

"so I browse, select MYOB "

What file are you selecting? It has to be the executable file for MYOB. Something with an EXE extension.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!