1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is advanced power management support?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starchild, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

And is it important?

I just got WIN98 installed on an older (1998 or so) computer, and had several problems showing in the device manger.

Had to find and download a modem driver, and that's all set.

The only other yellow problem ! is on ADVANCED POWER MANAGEMENT SUPPORT. Looking into it it says it's either not installed, or all the drivers aren't there. It's file version 4.10.1998 (Microsoft)

I've been going through the update driver wizard, and it says it already has a driver, from the WIN98 Install CD. And I can look for an update at MSN, if I am a registered user. I don't think I am/can I used an old install CD that came with another computer I had. I don't remember if I registered it at the time (it probably made me :) )

Anyway, if the Advanced Power Management Support isn't really important I'm not going to worry about it.

Also, this computer (which was given to me to practice on) has 2 harddrives. Both seem to be 3 gb. One was set as Primary Master and one Primary Slave. I know nothing about having 2 hd, and it was confusing when I formatted and reinstalled (having a C and D drive for hd and E for CD ROM, which was changed to F when the diagnostic tools were loaded onto E, it didn't seem to be showing F after that) so I set the slave one to NONE in the settings.

I can probably just leave it like this, my daughter is going to use it for her online college classes, and it won't have much more than maybe WORD and a few other programs put on.

I have never had/done anything with a pc with 2 hds before.

Can I reactivate it and install programs on it? Will this automatically move the drive letters up one (which won't matter now that I have WIN installed and set up)

It's taken me a long time to get this far with it. If I knew more what I was doing it would probably help.

I guess this is how to learn.

~ Carrie

2. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

First go into your CMOS settings and see if the APS is enabled. If it isn't, then enable it.

You may have to update the BIOS if the first option doesn't work.

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I looked in all the settings and can't find anyting that looks like APS (in CMOS or anywhere)

I did find in POWER MANAGENT it said DISABLE, but I clicked through that and realized it was "power saver" with Min saving, max saving, user define. I left it on that because I set this on the desktop properties settings. (I didn't realize it had an enable/disable elsewhere)

That's all I could find.

It took so long to get WINDOWS in and working, and then the modem set up (had to download a driver) I'm kind of wary of doing anything more "drastic". If I don't have to.

I have been thinking of changing the CD ROM drive, while the case is off. (something else I've never done before). I have a pc that has one that I know works, and reads homemade CDs. The one in the pc I am setting up works, but doesn't seem to read homemade ones. Maybe it just needs cleaning.

The point of this would be, if I want to instal something in it that's too big for a floppy, I could burn it on a CD (on my main pc) and put it in from there.

But there is the old Vermont saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Which might also be said as "let sleeping dogs lie".

I just installed IE 5.5 from an Earthlink promo disk. That worked okay.

If I knew more about what I'm doing it would help.

~ Carrie

4. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

Depending on how old the Mo-Bo is, flashing the BIOS might give you updated APM options. You may want to try this troubleshooter first if you haven't already.

The CD ROM should be easy to change. Just make sure the jumper pin on the back is set right. After that you just need to connect the power plug, IDE ribbon, and audio wire, to the CD ROM. Boot up your computer, and if your computer has plug and play, it will do the rest.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/126779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice