1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is an "Information System"

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by joel001, Feb 12, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. joel001

joel001 Thread Starter

Can anyone help me, I have a school assignment for which i need a good definition of
    an "Information System"

Any suggestions???

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I suggest you do your own homework! :) What class might this be for? Have you <b>read</b> your textbook??? Take care. angel (who got through school the proper way...on her own good merit and homework!) :)

3. columbo

columbo

It's one of those things that has a fairly broad definition:

information system: 1. A system, whether automated or manual, that comprises people, machines, and/or methods organized to collect, process, transmit, and disseminate data that represent user information. 2. Any telecommunications and/or computer related equipment or interconnected system or subsystems of equipment that is used in the acquisition, storage, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, or reception of voice and/or data, and includes software, firmware, and hardware. [NIS] 3. The entire infrastructure, organization, personnel, and components for the collection, processing, storage, transmission, display, dissemination, and disposition of information.

Now there's also more specific ones that you could define, like Management Information Systems (MIS), or Network Information Systems (NIS) or Geographic Information Systems (GIS).....the definition above is probably the best one though, as it is the least specific.

And Angel....shame on you for not helping this young man with his homework :D We can't all have that good merit and strong work ethic that you were blessed with!

Columbo (Slacker 4 Life):cool:

4. angelize56

columbo: :D You were the one in the back of the room who had all the girls doing your homework for you weren't ya! :D Take care. angel :)

5. marioh

marioh

Homework, what's that ?
    Oh, you mean the work that I would do the class before it was due. I stopped doing homework after the 7th grade. I figured if they wanted more work out of me, then slap another class to my schedule. School was for schoolwork while home was the place that I slept in. :D

6. angelize56

And you sat next to him marioh! :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!