1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is an openGL?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by iamstuck, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

i tried to play a game called "Medal Of Honour" when it loads up on my screen this message pops out telling:
    Cannot open- OpenGL Support.
    i have a "SiS 6326" 3D accelator.
    i want to play this game what should i do
    oh and where do u see how much mhz doi have in my computer?
    thnx in advance.

2. brianF

brianF

First I would go here http://www.sis.com/support/driver/6326.htm and download and install new drivers for your video.

Once done go to start/run/type dxdiag and press enter, the first page will give you your cpu support, go to the directx display tab and make sure the three items are enabled, run the tests, make sure it works with d3d.

Opengl is a different api then d3d but it will help to know that d3d works.

Make sure your version of directx is dx 8 for the new drivers or download and install from www.microsoft.com/directx

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

I was just pasting in the link to the sis driver page when I saw Brian had already done so.,

You might also want to check the Electronic Arts site (ea.com). I did, but didn't find much in their help section that was actually helpful.

Another thing to try> most PC games have more than one video setting. If OpenGL isn't working, try using another 3D driver set, like DirectX.

4. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

now that i did that is says:
    GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
    now what do i do?

5. iamstuck

iamstuck Thread Starter

oh there is more of the warning.

it goes like this:
    Initializing OpenGL driver
    ...getting DC: succeeded
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
    ...23 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
    ...23 PFDs found
    ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    ...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
    ...restoring display settings
    ...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
    ...shutting down QGL
    ...unloading OpenGL DLL
    ...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
    ...initializing QGL
    ...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
    ...shutting down QGL
    GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

the game is addicting, i played it at my friends house he has Xp and work fine. i have Win98.

what do i do now?

6. brianF

brianF

this error "failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT" is generally associated with the game not being able to find the install directory.

Can you start the game in the safe mode state, if so, go to options and set everything back to defaults. There should be one button or option to select to do it. Then exit and try to run the game in normal mode.

First if your desktop is set to 32bit change it to 16bit and see if it will run. If not I think I would try to uninstall and then remove the directory where it initially installed to. Once everything was removed I would reinstall the game, make sure if you specify a directory that the full path is listed.

Also it's only a demo so video card support may not all be there. I am not sure if it supports the sis chip you are using

7. brianF

brianF

duh, should have seen this last night, looks like you may need a new video card

Due to the birth of the SiS6326 was in 1997 and its hardware design was not optimized for Open GL, we are thus regretful to say that 6326 can only support Open GL in a limited way by newer drivers (Ver. 1.26a and after). Make sure that you have the newest driver for your SiS6326 based VGA card to run any Open GL supported games. Driver can be downloaded in our SiS web site or any other card vendors' web site. However, our newer graphics acceleration chip SiS300 can support Open GL completely and has much better improved performance in term of gaming and graphics processing.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice