What is an Ordinal? (Yahoo Messenger)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tmiller5

I had been using the new Yahoo Messenger for about a month.

I started having an error pop up each time I tried to launch.

"YPager.exe - Ordinal Not Found"
"The ordinal 17 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll."

I reinstalled it. It worked for about a day, but then it started again.

I searched for the file (MAPI32.dll), and found that Mozilla had "taken it over", but left a backup in my System32 directory. I renamed it back. Yahoo Messenger loaded with no problems. What in the world is causing this to be written over, is MAPI32.dll a Mozilla product, and will there ever be peace in the middle east? :rolleyes:

As of right now 12/31/05 it is working. ....but for how long?

Here are the system specs.

XP SP 2
Yahoo Messenger (the newest one)
IE 6
FireFox 1.0.7
ThunderBird 1.0.6

-Thomas

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi,
Sorry if this is basic stuff to you or is confusing!

There are several different applications that can install newer, or sometimes older, file versions in various locations on the system- sometimes it continues to cause no errors or problems, sometimes as you see, it confuses Windows. Service Packs also bring different files that may be named the same, but are not actually the same. If you do full search for that filename, you may find several different versions in several locations, and maybe you won't.
Windows XP itself stores copies of the original plus added .dll files which makes it a bit harder yet to find the right, compatible with everyone version. You may just have to uninstall and reinstall those programs being affected in a certain order to arrive at the compatible end point. I cannot determine that for you, though if you post the versions of that file here, someone may be able to tell you which should be located where, I've seen advice posted in similar situations> someone may have been through the exact same setup etc. We may be able to pinpoint what file you need to replace, move etc. But if things stay good, don't do a thing.

For XP you need to do this to find all hidden/system files>

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74220

After setting those settings, you may be able to find all the versions of the file, but please, do NOT simply delete any,as one application or another needs certain ones or more than one of them. I will try to find some information on the specific error you got, it may not require any further fixing but only time will tell you that! Happy New Year, by the way.

EDIT (I forgot to ask you if you would post all the locations, and version numbers of MAPI32.dll found on the hard drive. Just need a list of different version numbers, and folders they are found in. When you use the Search tool, after you change the settings above, you still may have to put a checkmark INTO the Advanced Search features checkboxes for it to actually LOOK IN hidden locations, protected, system file folders to get all the results.)

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, I did find quite a few results with a Google on the missing ordinal 17, they basically say that this fixed the problem (the correct version of MAPI32.dll to use)

"""The ordinal 17 could not be located in the dynamic link library...
Comment by scadasw (see profile) - August 30, 2005

Yahoo! Messenger with voice (7,0,0,426) was compiled with an older version of MAPI32.DLL library. If you use MAPI32.DLL ver. 1.0.2536.0 (very recent: 1999!) it works."""

Above was quoted from a website. Um, is that same version you have now?

This might also help, but first, make note of exactly where your good, working mapi32.dll file is located, and make a copy of it to have for a quick replacement...in case fixmapi.exe puts a not-compatible version back but I dont think it should....

run this file located in c:\windows\system32\fixmapi.exe

You do want to sign out of and be sure ypager is not running before trying fixmapi.

Here is the Microsoft info on what fixmapi.exe does: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228457

Note what it says about if you are using Microsoft Outlook (not same as Outlook Express)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online