1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is being sent from my system??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Irontrader, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Irontrader

Irontrader Thread Starter

I've got a dialup connection to the internet. I just reloaded my system using the recovery disks that came with it and reloaded most of my applications.

However, now the system is very slow when I connect to the internet, takes forever for webpages to load, etc.

I've notice that when I look at the status of my dialup connection that is sending a lot of data. It is sending significantly more than it is receiving.

It starts sending data as soon as the dialup connection is made.

How can I determine what is being sent?

More important, how do I stop it from going out?

I would load a spybot search program but it sends out so much data that the download would take forever, plus I don't know what is being transmitted in the first place.

ps... I'm sending this message from another computer and unfortunately this computer doesn't have a cd writer to transfer the spybot search program with.

2. BillC

BillC

One thing you could do is install a firewall and see what programs request internet access. Zone Labs has a very good basic firewall and it is free.

There is also ActivePorts that can tell you which ports are open and what application is using them It too is free.

At least you will know what program is sending data. But both need to be downloaded.

3. boyoh53

boyoh53

Hi BillC, I am interested in "Active Ports". It says NT/2K, will it work with XP Home.;)

4. BillC

BillC

My understanding is that it will work fine on XP. I've seen people talking about using it with XP on other forums; that is where I first found out about it.

EDIT: I still think it will work, but I found one that is designed to work with XP. TCPview...."See all open TCP and UDP endpoints. On Windows NT, 2000 and XP TCPView even displays the name of the process that owns each endpoint. Full source to the command-line version of this tool, netstatp, is included."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice