1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is best registry cleaner software?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kb1003, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kb1003

kb1003 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kaye
    My computer has really been getting slow on startup and freezes up some times. I've been reading that it could be that the registry needs cleaned. I've been looking at reviews for registry cleaners and I keep seeing one called Registry Booster by Uniblue. Has anyone tried this and if so what did you like or dislike about it? Or what in your opinion is the best registry cleaner?

Thanks for your help,
    Kaye

2. valis

valis Moderator

don't use any of them......they are all junk, and will frequently break more pc's than fixing them. For XP, I recommend the following to speed up the rig.

the four steps I use for a 30k mile checkup:

1. Run ATF.
    2. Run ntregopt
    3. Run pagedefrag
    4. Defrag the harddrive.

In that order.

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Personally, I don`t use any form of registry cleaner, nor do I suggest using one.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Kaye:

If your computer has been getting slow and freezing up, let's look into a few things and see if we can resolve the problem.

---------------------------------------------------------

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

Click Start - Run, then type in

%temp%

and then click OK.

Click Start - Run, then type in

c:\windows\temp

and then click OK.

Once those 2 temp folders appear and you can view their contents, select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside them.

If a few files resist being deleted, that's normal behavior. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

After you're done, restart the computer.

5. kb1003

kb1003 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kaye
    Thanks Valis, IMP49 and flavallee for replying. I won't be able to do it for a few days but I will try your suggestions.

Thanks again,
    Kaye

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't recommend using them ever. But if people are going to use them anyway, at least be smart about it. The ones that collect feedback and have gathered data over the years so as to prevent damage from being done are obviously going to be safer than newer ones. Registry First Aid is one that has an extensive list of "exclusions" that has grown over time (years).

jv16PowerTools has an option to connect to the internet and share data from a server that collects the results from damaged registries, so you get the benefit of other peoples' experiences, too.

But since there is nothing to be gained since they won't speed anything up, and such extreme measures would not be needed if they were safe in the first place, it is far better to avoid them altogether. Regedit is there for surgery, and that's all that is needed.

7. kb1003

kb1003 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kaye
    Thank you Elvandil for responding. From peoples response maybe I shouldn't use a registry cleaner.

Thanks,
    Kaye

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good idea.

But the tools mentioned by valis are not registry cleaners and ntregopt "compresses" the registry without removing entires (it rebuilds the registry from the ground up, leaving out empty keys and then exchanges the new copy with the old at next boot) and is also safe to use. I would even say it's "recommended".

As far as his recommendations, they are safe and a good idea. There are 1000's of junk "tools" on the internet that do more harm than good. But don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.:D

(PageDefrag only works properly on XP.)

9. UniblueSupport

UniblueSupport

Hi Kay,
    I wont stay debating the pros of Registry cleaners. All i will say is that with Uniblue's RegistryBooster you get a backup and restore function which enables you to undo any actions if you dont like their results and you also get support along with a 60 day money back satisfaction guarantee. So if you if you arent satisfied you get your moneyback. You can read more about what the product does here <spam removed>
    Best Regards,
    Keith, Uniblue

10. kb1003

kb1003 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kaye
    Thank you Elvandil and Keith for your responses. This forum is great and has alot of nice and helpful people.

Kaye

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you completed any of the instructions in post #4?

-------------------------------------------------------------

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The backup and restore is useless if Windows won't even boot after a "cleaning".

Please do not post any more promotional ads for your company's product.

13. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You should definitely avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good. There have been reports from members saying registry cleaners had fixed a specific problem with their computer. Although it might be possible in some cases, legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows installation! In itself, this should be enough to convince non-believers...

Why I Don&#8217;t Use Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic347491.html/page__p__1932993

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/997274-registry-got-messed-up-advanced.html

14. kb1003

kb1003 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kaye
    Thank you all for responding.

Flavalee - No, I haven't taken the time yet with instructions in post #4. I have been busy trying to get ready for Christmas. Hopefully, after the first of the year, I will be able to focus on the instructions.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Kaye

15. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Happy Holidays, Kaye!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice