1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is best way to back up data from multiple PCs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wildbill2u, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildbill2u

wildbill2u Thread Starter

I have three active PCs, two laptops and one desktop. One laptop running Win 7 and the other two on Win 10.

I have been using Dropbox (sorta) for backup on some crucial files.

My question is whether I should get an external local HD or use DVD as backup or continue to use DropBox or some other cloud program. I don't even know if the OS is saved on a backup program or external data HD.

I suppose this question might also be debated on the hardware threads, but figured this would be a good place to start. You guys never steer me wrong.

Thanks for all you do. wildbill

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I image rather than backup. This saves everything. I create images of our four Windows 7 computers about every 4 - 6 weeks. I boot from a CD or USB stick which loads the recovery software in RAM so Windows is not loaded.

I also prefer the images stored locally and not in the cloud. If the internet goes down, I'd only be able to get to the backup files if I used a hotspot and I'm not sure I'd want to download files at a public hotspot.

What program are you using to do your backups?

From the time I first started using computers, I always saved 2 copies of files off the computer. It used to be on floppy disks but then we moved to USB sticks for files that change a lot. For things like pictures taken with digital cameras, I burn the original to CD before I did anything with the picture.

3. wildbill2u

I don't understand. The word images creates its own image in my mind of a photo. :) Is there a place to find out about this somewhere like on You Tube.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

An image backup creates a large file, 7 gigs for my minimal install of win 10, and it is a sector by sector backup of the hard drive. The backup includes windows, all programs, all data, all settings of everything. The program I use is Macrium Reflect Free. The created image file is a compressed hd copy; my c drive has 619 gb used.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    As said (in other words) An Image is a way to backup and recover a functional operating system.
    Macrium Reflect is one way, I use Acronis.

for Personal data, Copy and Paste is probably the best/easiest way.
    I have two External HDDs storing the OS for several laptop and desktop computers.

These two external HDDs are twins - because ....
    What you only have one copy of ... Is something you don't care about loosing.

You can Clone one HDD to another .... Making an exact copy.
    If this a functional operating system, the Cloned copy will also be functional.
    You cannot copy > paste an operating system .. and have it be functional.

Are you familiar with cloning ???
    Clone = HDD 1 >> HDD 2
    Macrium or Acronis Image = HDD1 >> Image file >> HDD2 (or more)

An Image is a file that can be used to Write a new HDD or SSD and have it be functional.
    My image files are about 70% of the occupied file size of the partition being imaged.

I'm sure you have more Questions now ????

6. wildbill2u

I do have some questions but i'm gonna check out these two programs you referrred me to before I ask them. No sense being a dumbass that won't do anything for himself, eh? Thanks and I will talk to you soon.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice