1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is bios caching and shadowing and how do you disable it.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cancel_now, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cancel_now

cancel_now Thread Starter

i get this blue screen from time to time and its something about minidump. Anyway it said that if u hae seen this sreen more than once disable BIOS CACHING AND SHADOWING. i dont know what that is. It said that if i cant do it in normal mode. i had to do it in safe mode which is ok for me as long as ma comp works fine again.

And after that it said that check all new resently installed hardware and software. I know it isnt software because on the first day i bought it from the store, it restarted. So I know it isnt software its some hardware i dunno.

Ma system specs.

Hewlett Packard AMD Anthlon Xp 2600++
    512 mb DDR Ram
    80 gigabyte
    48x CD-RW
    16x DVD-ROM

HELP ME PLEASE thank you

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well if its new I'd be checking on warranty - a new machine should not be doing this at all.

"Enable System BIOS Shadowing

Shadowing is the process of copying slower ROM code into underlying RAM memory to improve performance of the ROM routines. The most commonly-shadowed ROM is the system BIOS ROM. Enabling the BIOS ROM shadowing feature will result in a small performance improvement.

Note: It is unusual in my experience for problems to result from using this setting, so if you are having trouble enabling this you may want to troubleshoot your memory or motherboard."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice