1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is C:\$extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA ???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by xwxcrazyloki, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xwxcrazyloki

xwxcrazyloki Thread Starter

What is this C:\$extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA thing?. Its spread out into hundreds of clusters and totally throws off my defrag program and is locked. Can someone tell me how to delete it because it is really starting to bug me!

Defrag: O&O Defrag server 10

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

3. xwxcrazyloki

xwxcrazyloki Thread Starter

Well how do I delete it, and prevent them from happening again?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You don't delete it, you leave it.

5. FireBreath

FireBreath

You can indeed delete the USNJRNL, and then recreate it with chkdsk. (surprised a moderator didn't know this :) )

Instructions on how to use fsutil.exe to remove the journal, and how to use chkdsk.exe to rebuild it, can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311724

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

And the point would be what when their is no problem with the computer?

7. barada999

barada999

don't know, but in my case I ran Perfectdisk to attempt to free up more shrink space to create a new partition with Vista. Prior to running PD, Vista told me I had 130gb of shrink space (out of 400gb+ free space). After running PD I had just over a gig! There was a metadata file at the end of the drive, which appeared to be usnjrnl. Fortunately running PD a second time offline moved it to the front.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631384