1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is Cache Test Failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nocontact, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

I'm trying to help a friend out with his Dell Dimension 4600.
    It's acting crazy, it won't shut down through windows, it wasn't turning on at all for a while and now it's turning on, booting into windows and then then windows crashes and goes blank but the PC stays on.
    I thought it may be a PSU problem, but then why would it not shut down altogether.
    In the Dell manual it lists an error called Cache Test Failure which the beeps the computer gives me seems to indicate.

Anyone know what Cache Test Failure means? I know I don't.

2. Kustom

Kustom

As the computer is rebooting hit the f12 key repeadetly, should come up with Dell's advanced boot menu, select boot to utility partition and it will run Dell's hardware diag, go ahead and run the extended test and see if you get any failures.

3. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

I was doing a test at one point and the same thing happened. Crashed and started beeping.

4. Kustom

Kustom

What beep codes are you getting?

5. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

The ones that indicate 'Cache Test Failure.'
    4 single beeps.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Nocontact...

I think it means the L1 or L2 ( more than likely the L2 ) cache has failed, which could mean a bad CPU or bad motherboard ( on some the L2 cache is on board )...

Will the pc BOOT at all now ?

7. Kustom

Kustom

Well the beep code would be in a 3 set order. such as beep-beep beep-beep, I have the list of dell beep codes for the 4600 so let me know exactly how it is. Beeps should be 1 second apart for sets and 1/2 second apart for the same set.

8. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Yes, it's beep-beep-beep-beep. 3X That's the cache test failure beep, just like I said.

Jedi, it boots, and it'll run for a few minutes, sometimes more, but inevitably the same thing happens.

9. Kustom

Kustom

ok so you are getting 3 sets of 4 beeps?

10. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

11. Kustom

Kustom

Run the System Board Devices tests in the Dell Diagnostics, you can access the diagnostics by pressing f12 key on startup and booting to the utility partion. Post any error codes.

12. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

There are no error codes. It passes all the extended test. Then after a while it beeps like I've described and then dies. That's it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice