1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is causing a white screen with horizontal lines on it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by colberni, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colberni

colberni Thread Starter

Hi there. I have been searching for a solution to this intermittent problem and most posts don't seem to actually address the problem I have. Mostly people with limited knowledge suggest the obvious or don't really read hat the issue is. So here is the problem: I am trying to fix a friends laptop which is an ASUS X44L. Upon starting the laptop a white screen appears with horizontal lines (NOT VERTICAL). This seems to freeze on this screen unless I move the screen back and forwards or press the bezel on either side at the bottom. So I have done all the obvious things including updating all drivers, cleaning out any accumulated debris, pulling the screen apart to check the cables are OK and all appears to be good. Now this doesn't happen every time and the LCD seems to work perfectly with no other problems that are obvious so don't think the screen is cactus. About to see if I can check the GPU is seated properly. Any suggestions are much appreciated but please don't suggest things like malware as this has all been checked out and the laptop runs smoothly in every other respect. I am wondering if it is something to do with the bios not properly initiating the GPU but its just a guess?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Try an external monitor if possible

By this
    do you mean when you move the screen etc, the lines dis-appear and the screen is normal OR do you mean the lines are still there but the screen does not freeze.

More than likely I would think the cable although you say it is OK is faulty albeit the connections seem good
    OR it is the screen itself.

The external monitor test will take you on a more definite line as if it is the GPU the fault will still exist on the external monitor of course

That Asus does not appear to actually have a separate graphics it is integrated Intel HD 3000
    https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X44L/specifications/
    whether it can be ordered with a dedicated graphics card as against the standard HD3000 I have not checked

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  3. colberni

colberni Thread Starter

When the laptop wakes up if screen is closed and reopened sometimes there is a white screen with horizontal lines across it. However if I then press the bezel around the screen on both sides towards bottom then the desktop becomes visible. I noticed that there is no actual ribbon cable on either side at hinge but a wire that then connects to a ribbon cable where it connects to the LED. I am wondering if compressing the bezel may have something to do with some loose connection under the metal rim around the LED. I did notice a missing rubber spacer on the left side of the screen and the screen seems a bit bowed. I will see if I am able to plug into a monitor to eliminate GPU as an issue. As I said previously once the white screen has gone the LED works fine.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My opinion is a possible faulty connection - moved by opening and closing the lid or as you say by pressing on the bezel OR more likely I think, in view of your last post the actual display assembly is damaged
    If there is a missing spacer and the screen is bowed, then presumably it has been dismantled before.
    Perhaps your friend can throw some light on that issue.

The external monitor as I said eliminates the graphics, although on the evidence available they are not at issue and I expect the external monitor to work perfectly.

Good luck with it. I can offer no further suggestions as on a fault of this nature, once the external monitor test is made and presuming all is OK it is usually a case of replacing cables and/ or the screen itself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice