1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is causing this?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SilverSurf, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SilverSurf

SilverSurf Thread Starter

Hello All - my desktop recently kept crashing, on inspection everything inside the box was covered in a layer of dust and fluff. All the fans and cpu were removed and thoroughly cleaned however playing a game it comes to an abrupt end with the screen having various coloured flashing all over the place and I have to carry out a cold boot. Strange thing though as watching video this doesn't happen. Any idea what could be causing this?

Regards Silversurf

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Overheating?

Download, install and run Speccy. Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes > Copy to Clipboard and then paste in the URL you just copied into a Reply to this thread.

3. SilverSurf

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Temps look fine ... although it does say "Current Uptime: 205 sec (0 d, 00 h, 03 m, 25 s)". Had it been running before, and you had just rebooted? Or, had it been off for a while and you just turned it on?

5. SilverSurf

Hello SpywareDr

The pc had only been turned on for about 10 to 15 mins when I ran Speccy.

Regards Silversurf

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Try playing a game for a bit, to see if it will heat up, then post another Speecy report.

7. SilverSurf

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

The highest temp I see there is 42°C, which is nowhere near a problem.

Does it crash when playing the game(s) in Safe mode?

9. SilverSurf

Hello SpywareDr

Neither game will run in safe mode, a message appears saying it needs a certain DirectX. A friend has suggested this is probably a dying graphics card, what are your thoughts?

Regards Silversurf

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Yes, it could be the GPU. If you have access to another known-good one, I'd definitely give it a try.

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    But if the GPU is dying, why do videos run with no problem?
    Something else is going on, though, I have no idea what.

Mahjongg surely isn't as taxing as a video.

12. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Nary a clue. Need to start testing something somewhere though. Anything else is just guessing ... and there are gadzillions of possibilities.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  14. SilverSurf

Hello All - many thanks to all who offered help. This is what I did. Opened device manager, clicked on everything, there were no yellow exclamation marks showing anywhere, and all said this device is working properly. Ran directx test which completed saying this device is working properly. Connected my monitor to another PC - no problem. Went to nvidea site and downloaded a small program to identify the gpu, when clicking run up popped a message saying nvxxxxx file could not be found. Uninstalled the driver then did a clean install. Tried loading the two games both said direct9 was required (it was already installed) anyway I installed it again now both games are working 100%. Knowing next to nothing about computers I wonder if you experts are able to explain how the nvidea files were deleted, and how direct9 was removed. I use ccleaner but as been said a hundred times on this forum not to use the registry feature and never use a registry cleaner.

The important thing is that my PC is now running just as it should be. Thanks again.

Regards Silversurf

15. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Cool!

Now that you've got it working correctly, do yourself a favor and start doing monthly (at least) backups: Macrium Reflect Free

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice