1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is CFGSAFE and .....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jerrylan, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jerrylan

Jerrylan Thread Starter

why does it constantly create new files? A few months ago I started getting messages that my C drive was becoming dangerously full. I found hundreds of identically named files in C:\CFGSAFE and dozens of identically named folders in C:\CFGSAFE\QCINIT. After deleting all but the most current files, I had regained over 1.5G of my C drive. Now I see it is slowly being eaten again by files such as C:\CFGSAFE\BASE000x.BCF and folders such as C:\CFGSAFE\QCINIT\con000x which contain snap.zip files.
    I gather these are system snapshots but I don't know why they are being so frequently created, how to utilize them or how to prevent them from eating my system.
    This is on a Win2K system that is very current on Win Patches and Service Pacs. I never had such a problem on previous Win95 or Win98 and do not have a problem with the Win2K I use at work.

2. snappy_31

snappy_31

do you turn the PC off by the power button when you shut it down or do you go start shutdown > shutdown computer .. this could be one senario.
    Peter

3. Jerrylan

Jerrylan Thread Starter

I almost never "shutdown" although I "restart" every few days. I never "push button" shutdown, except in the rare case where the "start - shutdown" process hangs (perhaps once or twice a year).

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have software called configsafe installed. IBM shipped some computers with this software.

Either change the settings of the program, or uninstall it.

5. Jerrylan

Jerrylan Thread Starter

Thanks for that info. I was not aware this was an IBM contribution. I would have to assume there is some user information in the CFGSAFE folder, or is that a safe assumption? Can you tell me anything more about it? Such as why would I want it in the first place? Especailly since I was not told it was even there.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have never used the program. Look in add / remove programs to see if it is listed. You can delete it from there if it is listed. Win2k does not use msconfig like xp, 9x, etc. Win2k only loads programs from the registry and from the startup folder. Below are the registry keys that load programs. Look in each one to see if it is loading configsafe; note you may not have all of the keys in your registry. The startup folder should need no explanation. If you see something in it you do not want, then delete it. One more note; BACKUP the registry before you edit it.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In addition check under services Control Panel>Admin Tools>Services. If it is listed there, you can disable it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice