1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is compatible with what?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zhooper04, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zhooper04

zhooper04 Thread Starter

Hello,

I've used TechGuy.org before, but mainly for issues with service programs and more detailed problems on the software side of computers - but as I venture out and upgrade/buy new PC's I seem to have missed a sure-fire way to find out what hardware is compatible with what other hardware. Namely the mobo -> graphics card/RAM interaction. I don't know exactly what I have as far as a Motherboard, but I do have information from a common program in CPU-Z, which is as follows:

Mainboard:
    ---- Motherboard ----
    - Manufacture: ECS
    - Model: Nettle 1.0
    - Chipset: NVIDIA MCP61 Rev. A1
    - Southbridge: NVIDIA MCP61
    - Sensor: ITE 8726
    ---- BIOS ----
    - Brand: Phoenix Technologies, LTD.
    - Version: 5.03
    - Date: 3/02/2007

CPU:
    ---- Processor ----
    - Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
    - Code Name: Brisbane
    - Brand ID: 4
    - Package: Socket AM2 (940)
    - Technology: 65 nm
    - Voltage: 1.328

Memory:
    ---- RAM ----
    - Type: DDR2
    - Channels #: Dual
    - Size: 2048 MB
    - Frequency: 251 MHz

I was looking to upgrade my NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (128MB) to a higher series (7's or 8's) of the NVIDIA; preferably 256MB-512MB.

Any good deals would be great aswell, but just common knowledge on what I should look for when buying a graphics card would be nice.

Also, any knowledge on what RAM I should buy to be compatible. I assume any DDR2 sticks should do the trick, but I want to make sure before making a purchase.

Thanks alot!

Zach

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

First you need to know if you have PCI Express capabilities or AGP for the Graphics card. As for the Ram you have 2 GB now, how much do you think you need? What type is in there now? DDR2 but s it PC3200, PC4200 or what? If your running DUal channel don't you need 2 chips of the same exact size and make?

3. zhooper04

zhooper04 Thread Starter

I agree, I would like to know those things. How would I find out if my graphics card is PCI Express or AGP? Same for the other 2 questions. I don't know much other than what I get from those read outs and the limited info Nvidia and Windows Control Panel give me. Any help would be great.

4. zhooper04

zhooper04 Thread Starter

I looked around in Device Manager to get a gander at the software supporting what I have - and for the most part it is listed as PCI, but I can't say that is the correct answer for sure; any for-sure way to figure out one or the other?

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

NO doubt you have pci slots -- post 2 says PCI xpress or AGP slot in mb go to Crucial.com for memory [CHECK MY SYSTEM]

6. zhooper04

zhooper04 Thread Starter

While I enjoy the input so far, nothing you've mentioned has attained information beyound what I originally posted. The Crucial.com check didn't post anything other than what is above, and nothing saying PCI or AGP.

This is what the check posted if I'm missing something...

Maximum Memory Capacity: 16777216 MB
    Currently Installed Memory: 2048 MB
    Available Memory Slots: 2
    Number of Banks: 4
    Dual Channel Support: N.A.
    CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
    CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ Model 11, Stepping 1
    CPU Speed: 2500 MHz

Any help would be great.

7. wardancerx2

wardancerx2

you have 1x pci-e x16 slot for graphics

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

wardancerx2, this thread has most likely been abandoned since the last post was nearly 4 monhs ago.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice