what is difference between dual channel and just 2 stiks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

edgar818

what is the difference between having memory that says dual channel kit and just buying 2 stiks from the same brand

pugmug

Banned
You can use 2 sticks of ram if they have the same specs. It is just easier to buy 2 matching sticks at the same time to save you problems.

edgar818

my motherboard does not support dual channel but what if i buy it what will happen?

pugmug

Banned
If your mobo does not support it, all you will get is a little faster more powerful single channel computer.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have put together a number of systems with dual channel memory, and in only one case did I but a "matched" set. They all work just fine. :)

Like Pugmug said, matched kits are easier, especially for someone who isn't an expert like JohnWill, and isn't sure what to match when matching a pair.

For Edgar, if you match your own, match RAM speed (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) and timings (3,4,4,8)

(examples of course)

edgar818

right now i currently have one mushkin 512mb ddr 400 (pc3200) stick would it be better to buy one more mushkin 1 gig stick or add a dual channel kit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I do buy the same brand and speed when I'm "matching" them. :D

So if i know my one sticks model number all i have to do is get one with the same model number and I basically created my own "matched pair"?

Depend what model number you are looking at, if your reading the numbers off the memory banks them themselves then the chance should be 0 of buying the wrong kind, but memory makers also use generic model numbers for a certain line of memory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online