1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is Dirty Volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cariad, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cariad

Cariad Thread Starter

Please excuse me, I am new, completely Non Techno so can somebody tell me why in simple english, why I have been having the blue screen intermittently over the last two week - then checking everything, :eek: it said Dirty Volumne on C. :confused: What does it mean, at least to-day I could get on line. Thanks

2. baladio

baladio

I'm pretty sure it means there are errors on the hard drive (the piece of hardware in the computer that stores data, and keeps it even while your computer is turned off); this could be due to a cause that I wouldn't know, or it could be from physical damage to it, or it could be having mechanical problems. The check disk thing that ran may have fixed the problem, but I don't know; you may want to run a Check Disk utility in Windows (assuming you have Windows). Try clicking the Start menu, clicking Run, typing chkdsk and clicking OK and see if it shows any errors, and see if it fixes them. You can also go to My Computer, or Windows Explorer, and right-click on the C drive, click Properties, the Tools tab, and Check Now for errors. It may require you to not do anything else while it is running, including having the screen saver come on or stand by mode. Some programs may be running in the background that occasionally write to the hard drive, but I don't know which ones would be on your computer, so I can't tell you which ones to disable. Anyway, if the errors are fixed and no more problems happen, then it may be OK. But if the problems are fixed, and then the same type of problem happens again, it may be a serious problem. You may also want to download and install one of the free hard drive monitoring utilities that are mentioned on this web page:
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-health-monitoring-utility.htm
    in order to see if the hard drive is "unhealthy." One major cause of an "unhealthy" drive is too much heat. If it is in a small space with hardly any airflow, it can overheat, and cause errors. Try that and see if you still have problems. You also may want to back up your important data, in case your hard drive is about to crash.
    However, almost any problem can be caused by malware (or badware; basically software/programs that can hurt your computer). After trying all of the above, if I were you, I may scan the whole hard drive and any other storage media for viruses/spyware; if you have an up-to-date anti-virus program, scan at least the whole hard drive, and use any anti-spyware program that you may have, too. If you don't have these, I recommend getting them. There are some good free ones, too. In the meantime, if you don't have them or don't want to get them, you can still scan your computer for malware at some web sites for free; however, these web sites may all not actually remove the malware, but at least they'll show you if it exists. Here's one: http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner (note: for this one you have to be using Internet Explorer).

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Cariad

Can you please provide the following details of your system.

Computer make and model
    Operating System and version

If you don't know how to find this information then please ask.

T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice