What is disck protect and how do I NOT do it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

starchild

I've been experimenting with my daughter's Sony Mavica CD350 camera for a few days now (and written about this in other posts). She was having a problem, where she'd take some pictures, finalize the CD (to look at them on the computer)- or take them off the camera with the USB cord, take MORE pictures and only the original pictures would be on the disc (even though she had seen the new ones in review- playback on the camera)

Aside from that, I've been using the same mini CDs, and had the same problem at first, (after the firrst group of pictures, new ones added could be seen in playback on the camera but not on the disk. I even used data recorvery programs, but only the first ones were there) but now this seems to be resolved. For days I would take pictures, finalize the CD, put it in my CD ROM drive and either copy/paste the pictures from it, or open them in PhotoShop(6) and batch them (reducing them in size) to another folder, which also saved them at the same time. Even though the saved files would be "read only" and if I wanted to do anything else with them I had to go in and take the check out. (I'm not at all experienced with files and this stuff. I just went in to the files saved on my computer, took the check out and then could do more with them. Before this it said (when I changed something on it and tried to save resae it) " Could not save because the file is locked- use the properties command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file". This is where I went over the files and took the "read only" check out and then I could change them. But, this was using the file I had saved- by opening the files in PS and batching them into a folder on my computer. The mini CD was no longer involved with this.

I've been doing this with several mini CDs (using them all up with tests. They are CD-R so not resuable). I finally got the new ones to show up on the computer. I'd take maybe 10 and finalize it, and save them, then take 1-2 more, finalize it and they would be THERE (on the computer) I don't know why this started to work, same camera and same mini CDs. So, the original problem (with the new pictures not being on the cd) seemed fixed.

The last 2 CDs I used for this- taking some pictures, finalizing it, taking them off (either copy/paste from the CD-ROM or opening them in PS and saving them from there) when I put them back in the camera, it goes beep beep beep.... and little CD icon flashes and says Disc Protect. I looked this up in the instruction book and it says "the disc was protected with a computer and cannoit be recorded"

What did I do with the computer, with the disc in the CD-ROM that protected it so it can't be recorded on anymore? This happened after I had only taken about 25 pictures, finalized the cd, and took them off in the CD-ROM (by opening them in PS). The disc isn't full. And, the few cds before this had worked fine (with taking some, finalizing and saving them, and taking more pictures again)

I had been doing the same thing before this and was able to put the cd back in the camera.

I'm not sure I'm explaining this clearly, since I don't know much about it. Only what I've been trying to figure out and get to working over the past few days.

I have the cord to take the pictures off the camera directly, without finalizing and using the CD-ROM, but my daughter never had to use the software (she has WIN XP and I have WIN 98SE) so doesn't know where the CD is. I haven't been able to find the software to go with this (camera) online, even on Sony's website.

A few days ago, I tried taking the pictures off using someone else's WIN XP and it didn't seem to work any better than using the CD-ROM. I had decided it's the Memorex colored CDs that are the problem. But, as I said, it started working (being able to take pics, finalize, take them off and take MORE and they'd be there still - them NOT being on the disc after the first group was finalized and taken off had been the orginal problem) I have no idea how (or if) I did anything that fixed this. All I've been doing is reading the book, looking online, guessing and trying things.

I have no idea what I'm doing NOW (I'm not doing anything different with the mini CDs then I had been) that is disc protecting them with the computer-?. I don't even iknow what this is.I use CD-R (full size) discs with my CD burner and never had one say it was disc protected.

I tried opening the files on the mini CD (Properties) and unchecking the read only (which I think has been there on all of them) but of course it won't let me because it's saved on the CD.

I ordered some Sony RW mini CDs (quite expensive) but they haven't come yet. Unless I can UNdisk protect the few mini ones I have left (that should have a lot of space left on them) I won't be able to do anything more with this.

Thanks,
Carrie

buck52

Banned
Wheeeeeew... I have a headache now... ;)

when it goes away I'll see what I can find out...

buck

starchild

How about... I've been taking pictures off a mini CD, in my CD ROM drive, either copy/paste or opening them in PS and saving them. The last two times I did this, when I put the cd back in the Mavica CD350 camera, the cd icon blinks and it says the disk is now protected. The instruction book says this means the computer has write protected it and it can't be recorded on anymore. Even though I don't see what I did the last 2 times different from the other times when this DIDN'T happen and I was able to put the mini cds in the camera and take more pictures on them.

How did I "disc protect" 2 of the mini CDs, with my computer (and not the others)? I didn't do this purposely and nothing came up saying "do you want to disc protect this so you can't record on it further-" Seems like something final would have a verification first.

When I first started posting here, someone told me to write as much detail about the problem-question as possible, so all the facts (even something I might not realize was relevant) would be there.

I've been doing that ever since (LOL)

~ Carrie

RT

starchild said:
How about... I've been taking pictures off a mini CD, in my CD ROM drive, either copy/paste or opening them in PS and saving them. The last two times I did this, when I put the cd back in the Mavica CD350 camera,
~~~~Snip~~~
When I first started posting here, someone told me to write as much detail about the problem-question as possible, so all the facts (even something I might not realize was relevant) would be there.

I've been doing that ever since (LOL)

~ Carrie
Ever since you've followed that advice you have been doing well, Carrie (y) :)

Perhaps your disk is wearing out, those mini CD's must be of the RW type and they won't last forever.

What I'd like to address is the putting the CD (mini) back in the camera, there before the snip in your quote.
It has been my experience that when you change a file from the camera's media (ie CF card or whatever, if you try to upload it back to the camera it will not recognize it because it has been changed...it is not the original file and the camera's processor can't recognize it...but this is probably not what you are referring to.

Ok that's not what I meant.
OK, I mean you are saving the images to your hard drive FIRST, not directly from the tiny CD? You must move the image files to your computer and save them there, do not try to save them to the mini CD.

sheesh I am confusing myself, easier done than said:D :p :D

buck,
you got any extra aspirin?
I do , if you need some :D

starchild

This had the potential to get very confusing and seem to have (LOL)

My confusion came from I was doing the same thing I had been doing, but getting something new (the camera was saying "disc protected" after I'd had the cds in the computer and when I looked up this error it said the cd had been disc protected by the computer. I don't know how this happened, it wasn't anything I DID)

This is a Sony Mavica CD350 camera. You put in mini cds (in the camera) to take pictures on, like a memory card, onlin little cds. The camera saves them on it, it's the only way it does it.

I could take them off the camera in two ways. Either with a USB cord (I have) using software that came with it (for WIN 98 which I have) but I don't have the cd with the software for it and can't find it to download online. The other way is finalize the CD in the camera, and put it in a CD ROM of my computer, open the cd and save the pictures in various ways. Copy/paste them to my hardrive, or open them in Photoshop and save them (I did this a few times auto batching them- reducing their huge size, into a folder on my computer) When I put the mini cd back int he camera, it supposedly could be used again, till full. These are CD-R not resusuable ones (I have some of those ordered that haven't come yet) But, according to the directions (and what I had been doing) I could finalized the CD-R mini cd in the camera (so I can use it on the computer) take off the pictures I had taken, put it back in the camera and take more (and keep doing this till the cd is full) This is how the camera worked the first 2 1/2 years (my daughter had it) till it started having problems. Which could be due to the mini CDs she got.
Anyway, I'm not saving the pictures from the camera to the mini CDs (and not my computer) The camera uses the mini cds to put the pcutures on. The first Mavicas (of this kind) used floppy disks to save pictures on. Kind of a gimmick I think and in my limited experience with digital cameras, I think the memory(flash) cards work much better.
After I used 2 of the mini cds in the camera, took off the pictures with the computer and put the cds back in the camera (which I had been doing, fine) the camera beeped and flashed a message " disc protected" (something my computer had done had locked the cd so it couldn't be used anymore). This was what I didn't understand, since I hadn't done anything that I knew of, different than I had been.
Since those 2 that were disc protected, I tried another one (last one in the box) and took pictures, finaized it, took them off and put the cd back in the camera with no error message.
Maybe it's just something loose or going in the camera, or cheap mini cds.

~ Carrie

There are two methods of "finalizing" a disk (speaking generically).

Finalizing a session, which allows data to be added, and finalizing the disk itself, which means you cannot add anything else.

Sounds like you need to do the former, but it's doing the latter in the camera.

Can't help beyond that point, as it sounds like a horrible way to store images and I have no experience with the camera type.

starchild

It did it with 2 cds and then after that it didn't give the error anymore. I don't know what I did differently (LOL) When the camera finializes the cd (so it can be seen on a compuer) it also auto initializes it (according to the booklet) so it can be recorded on again. I was doing the same thing each time.

It sounded like a good idea when they first came out, I mean you could buy these mini cds that save hundreds of pictures or use the RW ones over and over (I've yet to try these) The first Mavicas saved on floppy disks, and people who had them liked this, and they seemed to take good pictures. Though others said floppies aren't good for saving pictures even temporarily in the camera.
I think it might have been a gimmick, using something that wasn't a memory card or stick in a camera- that anyone could look at or take off in their computer.
Going by what I've found via google, after the first few years these problems come up. Getting them to work right, getting them off the disc, etc.
I just like how the camera itself works, after only using digitals that take AA batteries (rechargeable) that don't always work good when I want them to.
Now, to find a camera that works good, and doesn't miss pictures AND takes them off okay (LOL)
As soon as the Sony CD-RWs I ordered come, maybe that will resolve it.
Maybe not... You'd think a $500 camera would work better for longer.

~ Carrie

RT

Carrie, here's a link to the Pixella Image Mixer software for your Maciva.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=40A45NKZ

That's the version 1.0 setup.

If you need version 1.5, check here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=26TZ9S7E

I couldn't seem to find which version is for your camera, maybe you can recall?

Be aware there's some screwy popups on that site, and it makes you wait before you can start the download. Also it's just under 90 MB, zipped. (v1.5 is about 108MB).

If you want to give it a shot:
First the page will load and then quickly be replaced with a page expired warning. Hit the Back button on your browser to reload the first page. Probably an ad will come up, but look to the top right to "continue your megaupload download". Eventually the clock will count down and you can download normally.

starchild said:
You'd think a $500 camera would work better for longer. ~ Carrie
But remember that price was 3 years ago, an eternity in Digital Camera terms of age and price.

Last yearI purchased a Nikon with similar specs (but using conventional SD memory cards) and it was equivalent to US$140, never misses a beat.

At the time that Mavica came out I purchased a top end Fuji of similar specs that was US$1200, its better equivalent now is US$420 (in terms of the NZ price, adjusted for US currency).

RT

Oh! I just found that you need version 1.5.

(found that info on Steve's Digicams site)

starchild

I looked in the instruction booklet and it's verson 1.5 (as you found out)

It's a Sony Mavica MVC-CD350

It's not really my camera, it's my daughters, but she got so frustracted with it, she'd take picutures, finalize the cd, take them off with her computer, take more and the newer ones she took wouldn't be there. For 2 1/2 years before she had used it, without a problem (like this one). Of course, I said "let me use it and the remaining CD-Rs and I'll play with it and ask people on the tech board I go on". Of course, now I love it (it's better than the cameras I have) and if I can get the pictures off (in a reliable way) that will help. I keep joking with her saying "you think you're going to get it back?"
Actually, I'm looking for a better camera to buy in maybe 2 weeks (due to a loan I'm getting to get better stuff).
I've always thought Nikon and Canon are the best, but (going by 35mm film cameras) they also seem to be EXPENSIVE. I'm collecting names and models of some in the $500 or so range, or maybe ones that were more expensive, now 1-2 years old. To look into further. Seems like when I look at comparrison sites, some praise a camera and some point out faults in the same one.
One I keep seeing (looks like the pictures it takes are really clear and sharp) is Canon EOS5D. I haven't checked prices yet....It might be one of those that's $800+ and doesn't come with a lens. (LOL)

I just want a good camera that works good, takes good (clear sharp picutres I can print) uses a memory card might have some manual settings (or settings for low light, bright sun, etc like the Mavica does) and doesn't cost a fortune. The Mavica also takes video, but I tihink after the first newness of this wears off I'd probably not use it much. Even though I realized the video it takes can then be opened in Animation Shop and edited, resized, stills taken from it, etc. Which opens up a whole new field of things to figure out and take up my time (LOL)

But, I'm doing what I love and that's supposed to be the whole point of life.

Doing what I love, and learning about it and talking about it with like minded people.
~ Carrie

starchild

Oh, thanks RT for finding the software. I'll see if I can download it and get it in. I think I was calling it the wrong name, like putting in the camera name and "driver". or PTP manager, which is what it calls it in the instruction book. But, now I see it also calls it "Image Mixer".
~ Carrie

starchild

108 MB zipped?

Isn't there just a driver or something instead!

In a few weeks I hope to have a new comuter with WIN XP and a bigger hd) thought I'm not unhappy with 98 which is basically all I've used. I've been using someone else's computer with XP and getting used to it. And now I'm finding some programs won't work with older WIN.

RT

You're welcome, t'wan't easy to find, but I hope it works and will be useful to you.

starchild said:
One I keep seeing (looks like the pictures it takes are really clear and sharp) is Canon EOS5D. I haven't checked prices yet....It might be one of those that's $800+ and doesn't come with a lens. (LOL)
~ Carrie
The 5D is bit more than that :D ...how 'bout around $3000 no lens?:eek:

RT

Carrie if youo are on dial-up, and are going to get a new rig and camera in the next little bit that download may not be worth your time.

I did see a Sony USB driver in my searches, do you think that would better suit your needs?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online