1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is FSWSYS

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by kimmmie77, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimmmie77

kimmmie77 Thread Starter

My daughters computer has Windows ME. A box pops up that says Version MissMatch!! and has a ok button. When you click ok, another box comes up, FSWSYS "Please make sure you're connected to the internet and press ok." When you press ok, the box goes away for a few mins then pops back up. She has the internet by cable so she is always connected. Everything runs fine except that box keeps coming back. Any suggestions?

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi kimmmie77

I can't find anything on FSWSYS so -

If you post your startup list we may be able to spot something

Please post your startup list by doing the following :-

Please go here and download startuplist 1.5 :-

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/startuplist15.zip

Download to any folder or your desktop
    Unzip the zipfile
    Double click the exe file
    go to Edit - select all - copy - and paste the results in a new post here

steam

3. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Might be some sort of spyware trying to launch itself? Someone in
    TSG used to have a link to a site that could check if you have spyware on your machine....I'm not sure who it was.

Might also want to check any anti-virus software/firewall application that you may have installed on your computer. It could be trying to update itself (however, this isn't highly likely, as there appears to be no info whatsoever on "FSWSYS").

Columbo

*EDIT: Just found this link:

Ad-Aware link

Click on this link, download the Ad-Aware program, install it, then run it and see if it detects any spyware.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It is for Free Scratch and Win. I believe Spybot will get rid of it for you:

http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/

(I may be mistaken, but I don't believe Ad-Aware will)

5. Branwyn

Branwyn

hi this is kimmmie's daughter and this is what is going on with my comp. First that FSWSYS pops up and does their little thing and it doesn't let me download anything so the link above doesn't work. What else can I do?? Thanx

6. Branwyn

Branwyn

Also When I go to Free Scratch and Win's site to uninstall thier program it shows me a "cannot Find Page" Thanx

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What happens when you try to download something? Have you tried the Right Click > Save Target AS method?

One thing you can try is to go to Start>Run, enter msconfig and temporarily disable the "startup" group on the General page to eliminate any current conflicts. Then see if you can download, install, update and run Spybot

Free Scratch and Win should not be preventing a download so you may have other problems as well. But try the method I suggested.

Also if you could manage to get a copy of StartupList.exe and run and copy/paste the results of that, before disabling the startup group, that might be very helpful in further diagnosis.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

If you can't do that, try this: Start>Run, enter msinfo32 and then click Software Environment > Startup Programs. Then click Edit>Select All>Edit>Copy and paste the copied text here. This must be done before using msconfig.

>>Also, are you able to run the IE Repair Tool usually found by going to Add/Remove Programs > Internet Explorer > Repair > Remove ?

8. IMM

IMM

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice