1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is given away if I provide my IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kittytripod, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittytripod

kittytripod Thread Starter

Since I'm not a tech support person but am currently battling with one I thought I'd come to the source to get reassured.

A tech guy has asked the owner of a small business I work at that all persons accessing a particular scheduling web application provide him with their IP addresses for any device that accesses the application.
    I am not inclined to want to do this. I have no idea what someone can do with access to that information. Are my concerns valid or should I just cave in and give this guy all my IP's?

What can someone do with your IP address?

Thank you so much.

kittytripod

2. Rockn

Rockn

The admin is wanting to lock down access to the application to only specific IP addresses as an added layer of security for the application. You are only giving him your WAN IP address so you are really giving him nothing and if it is a trusted source asking for it I don;t see what the problem is. Every web server you visit can tell what IP address the traffic is coming from so your concerns are pretty much unfounded. It is after all a public IP address.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice