What is going on with Intel's processor prices

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What please is the point you are trying to make, as your image shows a seller refurbished cpu
Intel® Pentium® Processor G840 (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
Product Collection
Legacy Intel® Pentium® Processor
Code Name
Products formerly Sandy Bridge
Vertical Segment
Desktop
Processor Number
G840
Status
Discontinued
Launch Date
Q2'11
Expected Discontinuance
Q2'2012

Lithography
32 nm
Recommended Customer Price
$75.00

============
Also on your example the price shown is incorrect as you have not configured the socket
From that seller the price is 12.78 Euro

so I am unable to understand -
I've found some ridiculous Intel process prices.
The only aspect that would be ridiculous - would IMHO be buying it.

Lockeyp

Ean
My point was the question is that how are these processes so cheap? What does IMHO mean?

Last edited:

managed

Allan
It's a very old Cpu Ean, that's why it is so cheap. Just searched for it on Ebay and there are 2 for less than £3 !

(IMHO = In My Humble Opinion)

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
and the one in question is, as I said - seller refurbished which no doubt means it has been USED in a computer and taken out when the computer was scrapped or the CPU and or motherboard changed and as I said and my colleague has said it is
approx 10 years old.

All details of which were in MY first reply.

Lockeyp

Ean
Thank you for the information, if I can get a motherboard and memory bundle what would be the mobo that you would recommend before upgrading to a higher chipset.
The reason, I'm asking is that I have an atx empty case, which needs to be upgraded to be in use. I don't intend for it to cost a lot, just to keep it working for at least 5-8 years or until neither of us requires a desktop anymore.

Johnny b

John
It's a relative situation.
Being a 'bottom feeder' that's always looking out for good deals, myself......imho, the CPU in your image looks expensive for it's age and performance. It's an old dual core cpu.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...pentium-processor-g840-3m-cache-2-80-ghz.html

Shopping around....like at Newegg, refurbished computers with much better performance and a fresh install of Windows often go for not much more than $125.
I'm posting from one I bought at Newegg for ~$125.
A Lenovo M82 I5 cpu, 8 gb memory.
It came with Win7 pro that I upgraded to Win 10 pro, but now prefer Puppy Linux.

Many consider it to be old, but it does everything I want and does it well.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
if I can get a motherboard and memory bundle what would be the mobo that you would recommend before upgrading to a higher chipset.
I totally agree with Johnny b, as I said on my first reply and provided the Intel link to the CPU, as Johnny b - as also done for you.

Also are you sure you mean chipset

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online