1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is going on with this fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xmorisx, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

Hello everyone, my problem is when i turn on my laptop (in windows xp sp3 mode) the fan starts going, slows down, stops sometimes, and the computer turns off. Yesterday I opened it all up and cleaned it up put it back together and it stills does the same just it takes a little bit longer before it turns off. (so if it was on for 2 mins and I was looking at websites etc it would turn off on the 4th minute bc it seems like the CPU is overloading. no i am on the Ubuntu and and it doesn't seem to have a problem with the fan. it isn't stopping or speeding up or slowing down it is going at a steady speed.) Also it said it had a problem with virtual mode but i put it on the minimal required and it still turns off, except for Ubuntu. I am going to try and see if i can run multiple pages in Ubuntu and see if it overloads. Thank you for help in advance.

EDIT: my machine is a toshiba satellite a105 s4324

videos: seem to be slowed down and seem to be skipping.

EDIT: even ubuntu turns off I am going to try and attach an image if I can take one bc it is so fast I cant even read it.

2. dai

dai

what is it like in safe mode

3. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

when i tried safe mode It just turned off. for some reason it works now I dont know why. I am in a cooler room. maybe bc of that.

4. dai

dai

problems with safe mode as well usually indicate h/ware

it may have been a heat problem

5. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

yeah i think it is a heat problem too, the reason I am able to answer right now is bc the Computer is in a colder room and that is why. what do you think actually broke inside? is there some kind of a test I can do that will tell me what isnt working etc.

6. dai

dai

are you using it on a hard flat surface,although they are called laptops t is not advisable to use them there or on bedding,carpets or anything that does not allow airflow underneath

7. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

I have it lifted of the ground by in the 4 corners. It doesnt block the airflow from the bottom.

8. dai

dai

give it a few days and see if it re occurs

if it does you can run checks if you don't receive bsod it would indicate heat

9. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

what is bsod? and how can I run checks?

10. dai

dai

bsod=blue screen of death which produces a minidump which would be located here

C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp

which you could put into here and then post the result

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

hard drive check

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

memory check

http://www.memtest.org/

which you download the iso and burn to disk as a iso

then boot the computer from the disk and check 1 stick at a time

if the hard drive comes up clear you can check the file system by running

chkdsk /f

as i said wait and see if it keeps running ok first

11. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

the only way i can check if it is running okay is if I can play League of Legends. and watch videos.

12. dai

dai

well try and you will know

13. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

So i watched some videos and after two mins. I get this problem, the video slows down and it plays in slow motion, the other problem is that it seems like it freezes and stops and repeats a scene from 2 seconds ago.

14. dai

dai

you may have a faulty fan

15. xmorisx

xmorisx Thread Starter

nope. My fan is working fine right now no problem. I tried to talk on skype the talking became slow mo talking and said something about my sound card having a problem. my drivers are fine and I checked them. I think i am going to reinstall the windows see if that helps. also I used the program to check my HDD and I passed. Couldn't find minidump. When I try to scan for viruses my cpu goes to 100% and slows down and turns off.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice