1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is happening to my computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aciid phreek, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aciid phreek

aciid phreek Thread Starter

There is wierd stuff happening to my comp.

When i click any of the start menu's items, it freezes (and I have to restart explorer.exe to set it right) Also the crtl+a (select all) sometimes doesnt work. Also my internet has gone really slow & windows doesnt let me open norton protection center, from the taskbar, but lets me open norton internet security & auto protect

Does any1 have any idea what this is?

I have scanned my computer with norton and ad aware, also i got blackice firewall.

2. Lance1

Lance1

You could try running your system file checker for your explorer.exe problem. This will scan your Operating System and try to fix any problems it finds. start> run> Type sfc /scannow You may need your XP CD. as for your slow internet download this little app called Cleanup It does a real good job all your temp files. After the defragment your system. you may want to post a HJT log so the good folks here can take a look at it. Go Here For download and a HijackThis - QuickStart guide to help you out.

Screen Shot for Cleanup
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
  3. aciid phreek

cheers 4 ur help, ill try ur ideas

4. aciid phreek

wow i ran the cleanup thing, i got 3GB extra space (40GB HD), lol the computer is 7 years old no wonder, my internet is back to normal, but the start button still freezes

5. Lance1

Lance1

Did you run sfc /scannow from the run command?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!