1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is "HiJack This" ???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Old Bob, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

This is for MY education.

I understood that "HiJack This" was originally written for troubleshooting Internet Explorer, when the home page was high jacked.

These days, it appears to be used for, troubleshooting virus, worms, dialers, etc on VARIOUS browsers including IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

What's the story.

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

It is a utility that produces a listing of certain settings found in your computer. It will scan your registry and various other files for entries that are similar to what a Spyware or Hijacker program would leave behind. Hijackthis is not a removal and repair tool. It is an ennumerator, designed to show the entries in specific locations of the windows registry and system files so that a trained analyst or someone otherwise familiar with malware identification can recognize and identify problems and plan out a treatment process.

3. Old Bob

Old Bob Thread Starter

Cheeseball,

Thanks for response, not sure what you mean by "...produces a list of certain settings...".

Appears that HJT is being used for a lot more then it was originally intended, does it give accurate readings with a Firefox browser ???

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Registry settings I guess would be more precise.
    I would assume it does.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice