1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is hymen.sys in 95?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Holly3278, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi. My question is just a general question about Windows 95. A while back, my Mom's computer had a problem with a missing or corrupted hymen.sys file. Well, we don't have that computer anymore but I am curious anyway. I am just wondering what exactly this hymen.sys file is and what does it do?

As for the computer, here's what happened. I messed with it for a couple of days trying to figure out the problem. I eventually decided to get a copy of hymen.sys off the Internet which was successful after a long search through Google. I got the file, put it on floppy and decided I'd replace the missing or corrupted hymen.sys file. Well, I failed miserably. I had little experience with DOS back then and was unable to do it. So, I decided I'd format the hard drive after consulting with a few computer guys I knew. So, I went about formatting the hard drive which I did through a command on one of the system restore floppies. As I got partly through the format, I realized that I didn't know how to reinstall Windows. I cancelled the download and it screwed the computer up. So, the computer was then looked at by 2 different people (neither could fix it) and I consulted with a guy from a local computer store. He told me that the hard drive was probably bad and we was going to buy a hard drive right then at the store but when the guy went to test it (it was a used one), he had problems and we was in a hurry and had to go. We then gave up on the computer and gave it to a friend and told him he could use it for parts or whatever he wanted to do with it.

Well, any info you can provide on hymen.sys will be greatly appreciated. Just in case you need to know I believe the operating system was an earlier version of Windows 95. Thanks!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

No actually, it wasn't meant as a joke. But now I see where I messed up.. lol. Yeah... well anyway, sorry about that. I did mean himem.sys. Anyway, those websites didn't seem to help a whole lot. But thanks anyway.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Holly,
    I edited my first reply, but am glad you at least saw it....
    I knew your were not joking....just that every once in awhile, some real "jokers" at some forums, NOT here at TSG of course, play a practical joke on us....you ought to see the Random Discussion forum here at TSG, for example, if you want jokes and horseplay!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a riot, stop by there for some neat computer antics and good natured posting of all kinds. Good luck with computers, school and all else! You're a good sport!!
    Himem.sys checks for XMS memory at boot....gives an error message about bad RAM if it finds it. Boot files get "lost" once in a while....the command from A:\sys c: can replace them from your bootdisk.

Second link, scroll down to the bottom of the entire page.

5. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Thanks! I just wanted to let you know that I guess we can consider this problem as solved seeing as though I no longer own the computer I was talking about. But anyway, thank you very much for the information. I will use it in the future if I happen to have this problem again. Thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice