1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is it worth?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by mori0276, Feb 16, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. mori0276

mori0276 Thread Starter

This might be an odd type of question, but I can't find any resources on it what-so-ever. What I'd like to know is how much I should charge the law firm I recently completed IT work for. I've put in many, many hours into it, but it is my first major project of its type and I had a learning curve. Since I was doing so much learning-on-the-go I want to charge by project worth, not by hour. This is a rough outline of the work I did:

-Backed up data on workstations (9 of them)
    -Reformatted all of them and re-installed (I was able to use imaging software on a few that actually were identical models, the others were different models/hardware and required full re-installations)
    -Installed and configured Windows Server 2003 with group policies to lock out a number of things per their request
    -Built a data directory structure with applicable permissions per user
    -Set up updating systems, virus scanning systems, and backup systems

That is pretty much the outline of what I did. There computer systems were an absolute mess before I took this on and migrated them to a server-based infrastructure. And of course there were other random things that cropped up that I had to deal with. It was a very big project, but I don't want to over-charge them due to my "learning curve". I have a number of certifications (MCSA, CCNA, Security+, Network+, and A+). So, I'm not a newbie to the knowledge, just the experience.

Any help you guys can give me on giving an estimate of what the labor is worth???

2. happyrck

happyrck

if you gave them a hourly quote ..then take the total hours X hourly rate and deduct any hours spent researching on how to do whatever you were not familiar with...include a SHORT explanation on the deductions...then pray you get paid :eek:

3. mori0276

mori0276 Thread Starter

It happens to be my Dad's law firm, so I know I'll get paid accordingly. That is not the issue. The issue is I don't want to overcharge them. I would prefer not to guess what I'm worth hourly and multiply it by an estimated sum of hours. I really would like to charge them for what the project is worth: re-installing 9 computers and configuring the server. :eek:

4. happyrck

happyrck

call a few local shops...ask what they would charge to do the work...don't tell them you already did it..you just want a quote on doing all that you did...average the prices and do any deductions because of your lack of experience..also the "family" deduction then present the bill..remember they will deduct it on their taxs
    BTW my kids laugh when I try to charge them for fixing their screwups...:D

5. mori0276

mori0276 Thread Starter

Haha! Ya sometimes it sucks being the IT mind in the family: come fix this, come fix that. But hey, I guess if I ever get into legal trouble (heaven forbid) I can say: "hey Dad, come fix this!" :D

6. happyrck

happyrck

I moved 700 miles from the closest kid..(they are all over 21 now)..still doesn't work...I have to remote fix they're systems or try to talk them thru the fixes for printer..scanner.ect..using the phone killing a day on the weekend as a added attraction...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice