1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is my ftp address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lola2001, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I figure I'll try this in a different forum. I just set up windows 2000 professional for ftp as per the instructions on the microsoft website.

Moved my files to the ftp folder.

But what address do I use to connect? What address do I give people to share the files with?

Does it say this somewhere? The site doesn't specify. Thanks.

2. bobol

bobol

bump up for you;
    should be an ez one to get info for...
    if no luck in this forum , ask an administrator here to MOVE this thread to the networking forum.
    [i believe i'll be humming the 70's tune Loooola in my head all day :p ]

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, how are you connected to the Internet? You obviously have a public IP address, which is what you use. There could be some complications, depending on your specific network architecture.

4. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Connected to the internet via dsl (Bell Canada) and I have a dynamic ip address. Also using a dlink router, which I've already opened ports 20 and 21. I just have no idea what address to type to connect. I don't know where I get that from. Thanks for the response.

5. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

bobol..thanks for the bump and I hope the tune isn't driving you too nuts :)

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you want to access them from the Internet, you would need to use the public IP address of your DSL connection.

It's best to have a static IP address assigned. If not there are free DNS services that can be installed which will basically allow you to specify a "domain" name. When the IP changes, this will be sent on to their server. So people can just connecting using your "domain" name. At least that's the general idea. I much prefer to just have a static IP assigned if possible.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Many people don't want to pay for a static IP address, so services like DynDNS solve that problem for free.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That is why I recommended both ways of doing things. Some people don't mind spending the little extra for a static IP, especially businesses. Some, if it's just for personal use, can't really justify the expense.

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

So, I'm gathering from this conversation that i need to go to dyndns and set something up there? We don't have a static ip. It's a very small company and I'm only doing this to make it easier for me when I am working at home.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

11. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Ok I used the first one and used the name ftp://lola2001.homeftp.net/ and they assign everything else I guess? Anyway, I type in that address and it doens't work. Is there something else I need to do?

12. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

How does the dyndns website know that I want to open my fpt site by that name? Or how does my computer know about that name? Don't I need to imput it somewhere?

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Before you worry about DNS being part of the problem, you should first make sure your FTP server is set up and working correctly.

So rather than use a name, use the public IP address of your internet connection.

After that works you can start adding in complexity of a 3rd party's DNS support.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Just did a ping on that name and came up with:

So if that is the correct IP address for you, then the dynamic DNS is not the problem.

Are you sure you have the correct port mapped to the LAN ip address of your FTP server. I get no response when trying to FTP to that IP.

15. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I don't know. When I type ipconfig I get 192.168.0.149, is that the address I can use to test the server?

Huh??? I have no idea what you mean by that. Sorry. I appreciate your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice