1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is my processor speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gadgetman, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gadgetman

Gadgetman Thread Starter

I have installed in my PC an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ processor.

I had the impression that my speed was 2.1 GHz.

I ran the Belarc PC Management program and I discovered that my processor is a 1.73 GHz AMD Athlon XP.

I also viewed System Properties - General and it reads:

Computer:
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
    1.74 GHz
    512 MB of RAM

Could someone please tell me why this is?

Are my settings underclocked?

If so, how do I correct them?

2. ourhouse

ourhouse

AMD calculates there Clock per cycle differntly then intel does. The 2100 means that if they were using intel's standards of calculation then it would be equal to 2.1 GHZ but AMD has a different way of doing it.

3. ck2000r

ck2000r

The processor isn't underclocked the AMD processor naming system uses numbering that indicates what preformance is equalivent to. The 2100+ indicates a performance AMD believe this is equalivent to a processor of 2.1 Ghz. This due to the different way AMD processors deal with applications. Some people believe this is due to AMD's clock speeds not matching Intels for raw clock speed benchmarks seem to indicate that AMD is a bit generous with the higher values.

That being said it could be possible to overclocker the AMD processor to a higher clock speed espically if you have a motherboard that will allow you to unlock the multiplier. Increasing the FSB and playing with the difference settings should allow you to increase the clock speed. AMDs are considered quite good for overclocking just make sure you have a good HSF to keep it cool and if you do try overclocking small increases in the FSB setting at a time to enusre the systems runs stable.

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello:

ourhouse is correct. To quote:
    Read the controversy here: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020354,2107456,00.htm

5. Gadgetman

Gadgetman Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice