1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what is normal DPC/ISR usage?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by paulb100, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

can anyone tell me what normal CPU usage is for Deferred Procedure call and System Interrupts please?

im having issues with these processes but I dont know whats normal? I get about 10% Usage (Dual-Core 1.6Ghz) when moving/copying files IN or OUT the laptop to external devices and about 15% usage when downloading at my full speed on my WiFi (12Mbps) (this goes up to 35% with Outpost Firewall)...

now you could say its a Wifi driver issue but it does this when copying files to external HDD aswell... ive ran the Windows Performance Analyzer when i was downloading and it had a load of things causing DPC but the most was NDIS.SYS

any idea what normal values are when using your Wifi network at said speeds?

cheers

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

How many time are you going to post about this issue?

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

im trying to find out what 'normal' DPC/ISR usage is... I dont know...

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Normally it goes undetected by the user, so less than 1%

I never even knew what an interrupt storm was until I started using W7.

Its the high cpu usage that brings your attention to it, as it did for me.

See episode 241 for the basics on hardware interrupts

"Steve explains the operation of “hardware interrupts” which, by instantly interrupting the normal flow of instructions, allow computers to attend to the needs of the hardware that interacts with the outside world while they are in the middle of doing other things."

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

5. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

bit too much to take in all that :(
    im gunna ask some pals to test their Win7 machines

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

well i tried it on a friends win7-64 laptop and his didnt do it - he was able to copy files at 45MB/s much faster than me and his DPC was just hovering around 1% like it should... on mine that would be up to 15%-20%

it does it in SAFE MODE with networking but in normal safe mode (no network) it still does it but half asmuch about 5%)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!