1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is .OVL file?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by newkidtopc, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newkidtopc

newkidtopc Thread Starter

Good morning,
    What is an .OVL file?What is it used for?With what can I view the contents of the file?
    Please help
    Thnx in advance

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Clipper 5.1 under DOS used to generate .ovl files i.e. overlay files for memory management (I suppose) because in those old days RAM used to be quite limited.

Don't know where you came across it.

3. TimCottee

TimCottee

Indeed all versions of Clipper from Autumn '86 onwards use .ovl files. Essentially an executable file and one or more overlay files are created when you compile an application in clipper. Each overlay file contains one or more object libraries that are effectively loaded into memory on demand. This was an effective way of managing to fit large applications within the confines of the DOS restrictions. Unless you have the original source code it is likely to be difficult to get anything useful out of this file.

4. newkidtopc

newkidtopc Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your replies,
    The problem is that in the code that we are currently studying,a child process is being created using spawnlp() function in C language and this process uses the file with .OVL extension.What I am interested is that is this file created by programmer or by system?
    How can I view the contents of this file?
    Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice