1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is PCI Express?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ummm, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ummm

ummm Thread Starter

What is the function of PCI Express? Do they only connect video cards to the motherboard? What type of PCI Express is the fastest currently?

2. BG-0

BG-0

There are PCI-express 1x, pci-ex 4x, pci-e 8x pci-ex 16x (varieties 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0(the fastest of all PCI-E). The PCI-E 16x slots are used mainly to connect only video cards, but especially PCI-E 1x slots are used for other devices (SATA controllers, usb expansions?, etc).
    4x and 8x slots are becoming rare.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Are you refering to AGP 4x & 8x slots as being rare?

4. BG-0

BG-0

Well, they at least... I thought few (new) boards have actual PCI-E 4x and 8x slots? Not just speed-wise. Am I totally mistaken?

5. Compiler

Compiler

There are physical slots of those sizes... but you're right, I don't think anyone makes such boards. I thinks its logistics that caused that. When you manufacture parts, each different part costs money.

An x1 PCI Express lane is about twice as fast asa PCI slot. Most types of devices DO NOT need more than that. Network cards, TV Tunners, IDE controllers, modems, etc. An x8 PCIe slot is about the same as AGP x8. And these are PCIe 1.1 spec. 2.0 doubles the perfomance ability. And PCIe 3.0 is again double over 2.0.

Anyways, back to $$$$... I think its simply cheaper and easier to make only x1 and x16 slots. Many boards support dual x8 PCIe configurations... or require it for SLI/CF operations... while physically, they are x16 slots. Remember, you can FIT an x1 card into an x16 slot and visa-versa. Yep, a GTX 280 card and be plugged into an x1 slot AND WORK.... slowly.

So they install several x16 slots and can allow the user to configure how much performance to allocate into the slots.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice