1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is prutmct.exe?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by pcumming, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcumming

pcumming Thread Starter

Do not know what this program is that is in Task Manager list in Windows XP.

Could not find it on the web either.

Thanks, Peter
    [email protected]

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Hi pcumming, Welcome to TSG!!

Create a permanent folder on your hard drive for Hijackthis, like My Documents\HJT
    Click on this link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe and "Save" hijackthis to the folder you have created.

Double click on the program to run hijackthis, click "scan" then click on "Save Log".

Post a copy back here and someone will be happy to review it.

Don't make any changes until instructed to do so.

3. pcumming

pcumming Thread Starter

I ran Hijack this on another persons computer and see the program mentioned above in System folder and just am asking what it is. Posting the log file will not help if I had it me thinks. I already got the rest of the system cleaned and researched all other programs. It is only this one program prutmct.exe I cannot find any info on in Google, Experts Exchange, Google Groups, and other places I frequent for answers.

Thanks, Peter

4. cybertech

5. pcumming

pcumming Thread Starter

Found nothing after running kaspersky, and Panda and BirDefender online.
    Peter

6. cybertech

Just because it shows being clean does not mean it's not a problem.

This is a good example: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=323754

If you go down through the thread you'll find sain.exe being quesitoned which came back as clean, it's malware.

7. pcumming

pcumming Thread Starter

Look let me make it simple. It would show up in the HJT log and it did when I ran HJT. However HJT does not tell you if something is good or bad. And the other programs I ran did not flag the afortementioned program as malware. So if I posted the log (assuming I had acccess to the PC again), it would show a list of entries and on one of the lines it would show:
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [prutmct] C:\WINDOWS\system32\prutmct.exe

Now does this mean anything to you? All I asked was what prutmct.exe is?

Thanks, Peter

8. cybertech

And I'm trying to tell you I don't know. If I knew I would tell you. If you are sure it's something you don't want you can use KillBox to remove it.

Unzip the files to your desktop. Run KillBox.exe.

Select the Delete on Reboot option.

put the path of the file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\prutmct.exe

Let your computer reboot when the program asks you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice