1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is Remote Assistance? (Windows XP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ManBehindGod, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ManBehindGod

ManBehindGod Thread Starter

What is remote assistance? is it safe to use? My friend wants to try it, but

don't know how. anybody here can help me?

Thanks.. really

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

Remote Assistance is what either Gateway/Dell (I believe Dell, but both and prbably other companies use similar programs) uses to access your computer from theirs if you are experiencing problems.

3. nooter

nooter

You can right click on "My Computer" and select properties and then go to the remote tab and read how to use Remote Assistance.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

5. ManBehindGod

Alright.. but do i need a Windows Messenger to use this program?

6. nooter

nooter

No. If you go to Start>Help and Support>Ask for assistance> You can invite a friend for remote assistance and follow the on screen instructions.

7. ManBehindGod

Yes, i've tried that one, it said that i need to log in Windows Messenger,

but i got an error saying that i'm not connected on the internet... so i

tried the second choice.. Microsoft Outlook, but i don't know how to make

an account in that, can u teach me how? or can u give me a site that have

instructions how to?

8. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

I think you're getting 'Remote Assistance' and 'Remote Desktop Connection' confused.

Remote Assistance is indeed a feature of Mesenger, although I have found it to be truculent and slow, often failing to connect at all. You could use Remote Desktop Connection which is to all intents and purposes the same thing as Terminal Services used to be but with a new name. It locks the workstation screen at the remote end, so you will be unable to see what is happening, whereas Remote Assistance is literally just remote control.

Personally I prefer to use TightVNC (www.tightvnc.com) which installs a small server client on the target machine. You can then access this machine from anywhere on the net, and not require a Windows-based machine to do so (which Remote ***. and Remote Desktop do). There is a TightVNC viewer you can install or the server has a basic html frontend coded into it. It has primitive security however, although for most home users this is not critically important. Ensure you use a strong alphanumeric password however, as the server will load when you start Windows and 'listen' for the incoming connection. If you are behind a NAT router for example, you will need to route the port to your local PC.

I have used this to great effect for a number of years now, and provide remote support for friends and family using this method.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice