1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is safest, most secure way to backup iphone?

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by bj nick, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I recently had to restore my iphone- it froze on me, and had to go through the whole preocedure.....it wouldn't work at home, so I had the Apple Store do it....I wasn't too worried, because I know where the backup file is kept, and I have kept multiple copies of it- always updating it- to make sure I would never have to worry about losing all my contacts, etc.

Well, I was wrong. When I went to restore, iphone would not allow me to access the most recent backup, instead directing my back to last December. I called AppleCare, talke to Apple Store, no help. I was stuck. I've since been told that there is no really reliable way to save the backup; that is, an ironclad way, like you'd save all your data on multiple drives, online, etc.

Can anyone tell me if there indeed IS a secure way to store your iphone backups?

2. paulovg

paulovg

There maybe a problem with you PC File system/ Hard Disk.

There are really lots of options, Most of the items in your iphone are backed up in Itunes but the email is synced with the email you use (search for the .pst files if you use windows mail/POP3 or Imap options), the contacts for PC Users are in Windows Contacts (actually a folder) and with MAC it is in the address book. Photos are synced from My Pictures in Windows and iphoto in Mac OS. A backup of just the Itunes Media folder is therefore incomplete.

I bought my Mac 2 years ago and have been using Windows since windows 3.1 (mid '80s), the windows folders I backup manually are the following:
    (In Vista - it maybe slightly different for Win 7 and XP)

Contacts
    Documents
    Pictures
    Music (which contains Itunes Media folder)
    Movies

At the moment I store all my valuable files (actually the most valuable for me are family photos, movies of my kids growing up, and my MP3 collection) in my Macbook which is backed up hourly (incremental) via Time Machine/Time Capsule. Moreover, I subscribed to Apple's Mobile Me (for the Find my iphone feature) which likewise keeps a backup of all my Contacts in the Mobile Me Website. Of course the next IOS upgrade will provide free iCloud services which I expect includes an option to backup of your contacts in iCloud.

As a habit, I still manually backup/sync my contacts and media files periodically using a USB Disk at the same time sync the latest copies of my media in my older PCs, just to make sure.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks. Actually the backups are supposed to be automatic every time you connect the iphone to the computer. It says "sync," it backups everything, and that's supposed to be enough. What I'm saying is that even though I backed up constantly- almost every day- when I went to restore, it wouldn't let me access the most recent backups; in fact, not any of them.

the way it's supposed to work is that if you have to restore, it will restore to the most recent backup. Well, it failed me.

I have no doubt that there is something wacky with Windows 7, since I've had lots of trouble along the way with iphone saying it can't sync, or this and that. But I always get it happening eventually.....and I WAS backed up. Multiple locations.

Can you tell me how to find that contacts folder? It may still be on my system; that would be great.

4. paulovg

paulovg

In Vista - maybe also for Windows 7, it is one of the subfolders of the user (click windows button, the left side are the recent programs you used , the right column top most will be your picture then the User name, If you click on the UserName it will open the user folder - it will be one of the subfolders under the user.

Far as I know sync just means both your iphone and the PC has the same contents/ files, If your PC Hard Disk is a problem (or vice versa) syncing may propagate errors on both sides, among the fail safe mechanism are CRCs (Cyclic Redundancy Checks), If the file fails one of the integrity checks then it wont be able to sync and you get the sync error messages (cannot sync).

What I'd do:
    1 I'd try to recover whatever I can first,
    2 back up your stuff in a USB drive, then
    3 run the windows utilities to check the Disk for errors, depending on how bad it is you may try to use the utilities to fix it, worse case reformat (Click on the C drive icon in win explorer / Right click properties - it will pop up a window - click on the tools tab and select error checking).

If the problem is with the iphone - doing a restore will fix it. Just curious - when it hangs up you may just want to do a "hard reset" click the front button and the power button simultaneously for 10-20 secs it is like doing a CTRL-Alt-Delete on your PC.

Hope this helps

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What exactly did Apple tell you about not being able to restore your backup in iTunes. That's supposed to be how you back up an iPhone.

6. paulovg

paulovg

You are exactly right, Iphone uses Itunes to backup and restore - nothing else. Bj Nick however has a problem with the backup that Itunes did for him and his recovery of the contacts and phone numbers. Something similar but not exactly the same happened to me before, and the recovery involved restoring a previous version of my Contact folder from a USB Drive backup and syncing (using Itunes) the phone to restore the entries.

The way I understood the question is he is looking for a way to ensure against data loss.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice