1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What is slowing down my computer?? Task Manager/Running Processes Questions(win2kpro)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rungood2001, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rungood2001

rungood2001 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Dell Laptop- the Inspiron 8000, and I run Windows 2000 Professional. I have had this computer for about 3 years, and recently, it has slowed down tremendously in terms of performance. As of last week, I thoroughly cleaned it out and don't have any viruses or spyware (I ran the online 'housecall' virusscan, got the latest adware software from ad-aware, and I posted a hijack this log in another part of this site and cleaned off a really nasty bug).

I only found the virus (AGOBOT.IL) by going through my Windows Task Manager's 'Processes' tab, and just did a search on google to see if I could find any relevant information about each one, and to see if it was essential, or if it was a background process that I didn't need/want running.

Now, with my computer having slowed down again, I am wondering if there is anything I overlooked before. I am including the list of processes in my Task Manager, in hopes that we can identify anything that isn't supposed to be there. A question that I have, for instance, is Why are there 4 versions of 'svchost.exe' running? Each takes up between 3,000K and 10,000K of memory........is each doing something unique, or are any of them unnecessary?

Here is the list of processes, alphabetically (and if I know what a process is- if it is something that I know I want- I will explain):

AIRPLUS.exe (wireless internet card)
    ati2evxx.exe
    atiptaxx.exe
    CSRSS.EXE
    CTFMON.EXE
    explorer.exe
    hpodev07.exe
    hpoopm07.exe
    IEXPLORE.EXE
    iPodService.exe (iPod)
    iTunesHelper.exe (I assume this has to do with iTunes, the program I use with my iPod)
    LSASS.EXE
    mdm.exe
    mstask.exe
    qttask.exe
    realsched.exe
    regsvc.exe
    SAgent2.exe
    SERVICES.EXE
    SMSS.EXE
    spoolsv.exe
    stisvc.exe
    svchost.exe (3,344K)
    svchost.exe (5,832K)
    svchost.exe (4,368K)
    svchost.exe (10,108K)
    System
    Sytem Idle Process
    TASKMGR.EXE
    WINLOGON.EXE
    WinMgmt.exe
    wuauclt.exe

Also, under the CPU column in the Windows Task Manager 'Processes' Tab, the "System Idle Process" changes betweem 94 and 99, but always stays at a high number. Also, it's CPU time basically is just however long as the computer has been on. Is this all normal, and what does it mean?

Alright, well I think that's about it for now, but I would *REALLY* appreciate any help that anyone can give me. I always want to make my computer go as fast as possible, and I try to be concious of how it all works, so this will help me to do this. Also, how much does having 39gb (of 40gb total memory) of files on this computer affect the speed at which it works? Is there a corellation there? Again, any help you can give me would be awesome.

Thanks in advance, YOU ROCK!
    -john
    [email protected]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!