What is Smartlink?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sidbub

Windows 10 using Firefox 63.0.3

Just when I open FF to my home page, a few seconds MBAM comes up and says it's blocked and outbound site called smartlink.cool. This only happens when I open my main FF page which is the news. If I change my FF home page to something else, I do not get that warning from MBAM. I cannot find that file or whatever it is doing a search on the computer. It does not happen when I open Chrome to the same main page. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Seems to be adware and the file comes up as c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe

sidbub

Nothing in FF extensions and plugins. Even in Chrome, put in firefoxnews.com and get the same MBAM popup saying blocked outgoing adware. Says now 1-1ads.com. never say that before.

Google for 'online scan' and you should see several big name antivirus one-time-scanner/removers. These products do not do signature updates and are meant to provide one time second opinion or emergency use. Try several.

sidbub

Tried 3 online scanners. Not find anything. Strange it only comes up when I open foxnews.com, nothing else.

sidbub

I have posted on MBAM forum. Strange as it just seems to activate only on foxnews.com. ??
It's link is 172.64.138.4

Last edited:

sidbub

I can't explain it. I will put in uBlock and see what happens. It's nothing on my computer but seems to be something on the fox news site. I tried using a different browser and installed uBlock and adblock plus. Opened foxnews site and no MBAM popup. Go figure! The browsewr I used was Vavaldi. Chromium based and pretty good.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online